disconected gas cooker

That is quite so but that testing idea was thought up for normally on boiler pilot lights.

I would say that it is very important on a hob that they do not stay on without a flame.

But I am still suspicious of the OP's assessment that all four are failed to on!

Sponsored Links
I would say that it is very important on a hob that they do not stay on without a flame.
Are you suggesting a hob to be "more important" than an appliance that utilises a combustion chamber?

Much more important in many ways!

A gas leaking cooker will fill the kitchen with gas!

Gas from a leaking pilot light in a room sealed boiler will safely disperse through the flue.

Much more important in many ways!

A gas leaking cooker will fill the kitchen with gas!

Gas from a leaking pilot light in a room sealed boiler will safely disperse through the flue.
I think you may have missed the cut off times from my previous post?
Why do you think water heaters/boilers etc utilise a shorter cut of time than that of a cooker/fire/DFE?
Why do you think an oven has a shorter cut of time than that of a hob/hot plate?
Are you going to vanish from this thread as usual?

Sponsored Links
I dont get how lighting an appliance with a lighter is classed as safe, just doesn't sit right with me. I've always said its unsafe but thanks for letting me know different, been gas safe 2 years now but still need abit of guidance and experience obviously

I dont get how lighting an appliance with a lighter is classed as safe, just doesn't sit right with me. I've always said its unsafe but thanks for letting me know different, been gas safe 2 years now but still need abit of guidance and experience obviously

Take it from me Dibby it's a minefield at times.
We have to walk on a very fine line at times.

Dibby, your client doesn't need to use a lighter, a proper taper or spill is better. Or a blowlamp. Ignition on cookers was state of the art when I started. And not too long before, there were no FFD's. On Xmas Eve, with the Gas Board, our emergency repair method for failed FFDs, on the oven, was too rip out the guts, and reassemble and seal the case. It was considered better than depriving the punters family of their Turkey the next day.

But then, the Turkey was always dried out crap because it went in the oven, on low, the night before. :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There have been some lighting devices on many earlier cookers.

There was the little gas torch on a flexible tube used to convey the flame from a pilot light to each burner.

Then the little tubes taking a little gas from each burner to a central pilot flame in the middle of the hob.

Then the little glow ignitor with a 1.5v battery at the base of the cooker. That one was cleverly used as the basis of the flame detector on the Potty Lynx boiler. Clever alternative thinking whoever thought of that. How long will it take Bernard to google how that worked?

Then the little tubes taking a little gas from each burner to a central pilot flame in the middle of the hob.

My parents had one of them when I was growing up. I can vividly remember having HOT seared into my fingertips when I touched it to see if it was really hot :LOL::LOL::LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back