Disconecting electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. First post here, I'll appreciate all advice.

I'm in the process of stripping out my bathroom for a complete overhaul. The only thing that's staying the same is the electric shower, however I need to get it off to tile behind. I think I know what to do but as it's electrics and I'm relatively new to diy I'm best off confirming with people who know more than me.

The shower is 10.5kw, fed by a 10mm cable and rcd protected. I've flicked the rcd down and have confirmed that this stops the light from coming on on the ceiling mounted pull cord switch and that there is no power to the shower when said switch is in the on position.

Now is there anything else I should be wary of before removing it?

Also as I intend for the shower to be out of place for a couple of weeks I feel the need to keep the exposed wires protected just in case any idiot decides to try flicking the rcd back on. Will putting the wires into terminal blocks and either taping them or putting them into chocblocks be sufficient?

The bathroom will not be used as a bathroom at all during this time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Ensure the pull switch is OFF and then tape the cord up so it cannot be reached. Turn off the RCD and then remove the shower and pot the ends int a junction box. Then bag that in a water proof polythene bag.

Insulation tape in a damp room can absorb moisture and becomes non insulating.

I would be identifying and turning off the shower MCB as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back