Disconnecting An Electric Door Chime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric door chime connected to my fuse box.
I have disconnected the chime as I do not want it anymore.
Is it ok just to place the cables in the gap in wall and plaster over them?

Sponsored Links
I take it we are talking about a mains cable here ?
You cannot bury a live cable in the wall with no clue as to its existence without certain criteria being met. Also just taping and/or connectors and burying is never a good idea.
If it is totally disconnected and with no chance of it being re-connected then no problem.

I take it we are talking about a mains cable here ?
You cannot bury a live cable in the wall with no clue as to its existence without certain criteria being met. Also just taping and/or connectors and burying is never a good idea.
If it is totally disconnected and with no chance of it being re-connected then no problem.

Hi thanks for response.

The door chime had 2 cables running to it.
Each of the cables wires was connected to the chime at different points of the chime.

I disconnected all the wiring from the door chime so am just left with 2
sets of cables sticking out the wall which I am not going to use again.

Sponsored Links
You must disconnect them from the CU.

Or at least disconnect from the LV side of the Transformer , Usually sited near the Consumer Unit ........
(Then disconect/switch off supply to Tranny)

After all this it`ll be Battery powered !! ;) !!

Lucky

Having looked into into it tonight.

One cable leading to the chime was from the colt xs sensor. (I presume this is the cable used to ring the chime that you can use when a door is opened/closed).
I presume this can be easily removed once I disconnect from the sensor end.

The second cable is obviously the mains connection to the chime. The chime is located at the top of the door frame, the cable runs down from the ceiling. So am I right to presume the cable will be running from the bedroom floor above?

I dont really want to start lifting the wood flooring in the bedroom to get to this cable.

So (1) What device can I use to test the cable is in fact live and (2) If the cable is not live once tested I presume I can just tape it up and plaster over it? (3) If the cable is live, how can I make it safe before plastering over without lifting the wood flooring above?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back