Disconnection time for a Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a shower considered fixed equipment?
If for example you were using a BS1361 fuse to protect what is the correct Max disconneciton time 0.4s or 5s i.e. is it considered fixed equipment or not?
I understand that a bathroom is a special location but I can find nothing in the regs to suggest that as its a shower the disconnection time has to be 0.4s.

Sponsored Links
Thought so, many thanks. Is there a particular regulation number that states this in in BS7671. Be interested to look it up

Sponsored Links
5.0 seconds - it used to be 0.4 and personally I think it still should be

It might be heading back the other way in the next regs, less bonding? and more RCDs (40 ms at 5X, so thats... um... 0.04 second disconnection :cool: )

Adam_151 said:
It might be heading back the other way in the next regs, less bonding? and more RCDs (40 ms at 5X, so thats... um... 0.04 second disconnection :cool: )

stick it on the RCD side of a board or on an RCBO and future proof

Not that this is much help, but Reg 471-36 (15th Ed, 1981) says:

For circuits supplying equipment in a room containing a fixed bath or shower, where the equipment is simultaneously accessible with exposed conductive parts of other equipment, or with extraneous conductive parts, the characteristics of the protective devices and the earthing arrangements shall be such that in the event of an earth fault, disconnection occurs within 0.4s. This requirement does not apply to equipment supplied by SELV circuits.

I can't find any reference to disconnection times in the 14th Ed. (1966), although they must be there. Funny how things change...

Yes. And in the 1st ED (1882), it says shower disconnection times must be within 5 days...

ebee said:
5.0 seconds - it used to be 0.4 and personally I think it still should be

You sure its 5 seconds ebee? others say 0.4s I have been trawling throught the regs and can only find the following on the subject 471-08-01 which talks about the requirement of 413-02 and goes on about installations of increased risk such as those in Part 6, it continues to say that additional measures may be required such as: (iii) reduction of max fault clearance time.

Spark123 said:
Ebee is correct, it is now 5s.
Your right you knoW! just phoned the IEE Wiring Regulations helpline Tel:01438 765599 if ever you need to call and they told me its defo 5s and is stated on Page 15 of Guidance note 7

Thanks a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back