Discovered that Extension wall is single skin...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...of breezeblocks, then my builders had put Kingspan insulation, then plasterboard, onto which they've hung the cupboards.

I can only imagine they did this to save money/time.

Are there any concerns I should have about it being done this way, as opposed to double skin with cavity insulation?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depends what`s on the architect`s drawings

Hi

I work for Kingspan Insulation and would advise that on a single skin wall our recommendation is to install a set of 25mm treated timber battens at 600 centres creating a small cavity to avoid potential moisture ingress issues and then fix the Kooltherm K18 Insulated Plasterboard across the front of these. These battens then offer an extra fix for cupboards etc.

If the insulation you have had installed is between battens and the cupboards have been fastened into these this should provide a good fix. if this is not the case and the cupboards are only fixed through the insulation, with loadings, this could potentially cause an issue.

As previously mentioned the ideal scenario for both installation of our boards, potential moisture ingress and fixings would be to use the Kooltherm K18 Insulated Plasterboard on battens.

In terms of cavity wall versus a single drylining wall, both can achieve current building regulations and be effective ways to insulate.

Hope this helps.

Anna

Thanks for the informative, helpful response.

I had 2 concerns: insulation, and support of cupboards. I see you have answered both.

I dont think there were any battens, at least I can't be sure there were any. However, we have been told by carpenters currently working in the kitchen that the cupboards had been screwed into metal plates (?) and that they are safely supported. It doesnt set my mind fully at rest though so I'm gonna tell the wife not to load anything too heavy into them.

Sponsored Links
I'm gonna tell the wife not to load anything too heavy into them.
3 years down the line and the wife will have forgotten about this little snippet along with the 60kg's of unused stuff that is packed above the units.

Other than that, Noseall, what is your opinion of single skin walls?

(bearing in mind my other post you commented on)

A single skin wall, provided that it is backed up by the relevant insulation can perform (thermally) as any other type of wall.

However, It would be idiotic to build a wall in such a way (i.e. fixing thick slabs of insulation to the inner face) knowing that you intend doing a lot of fixing to said wall.

The sensible approach would be a full fill cavity wall.....or a single skin wall along with an inner leaf constructed from 100mm timber studs with celotex or kingspan betwixt studs, a further 25mm across studs then faced with 18mm ply. Great for a kitchen.

as i thought.

oh well, better just sit tight and hope for the best.

if and when the units come crashing down i'll have to think then about ripping up the whole wall and putting wood behind the units instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back