Discovery of maggots!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Just been having a little sort out of items in my house when I was shocked to discover small maggots crawling in one of my books!!

I've got a wooden dresser which stands in the kitchen, which i keep a few things stored in the cupboard at the bottom of it, and in the drawers etc, i also keep a few of my old books and magazines under it, the wall behind the dresser is slightly damp and some of the paper has started to discolour, (i plan to have this sorted early this year), anyway back to the maggots, to my horror i got one of my books from under the dresser and found 5 live maggots (1cm long, cream in colour with brown tipped heads) stuck to the binding of my book, there seemed to be some kind of white coocoon like substance around them, I noticed one of these maggots a couple months ago on the rear door in the kitchen but i put it down to coming from shoes or clothing picked up from outside garden etc.

I then thought i would investigate to see if anymore where about, i emptied the dresser and found one in there stuck to a cardboard box, and i completely moved the dresser to find them on more books which i kept under it and also on the wallpaper surface and also under it where a little wallpaper has come away with the rising damp.

I've had a really good look on the internet and cannot find anything about these to hand so i'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas? as I'm quite worried about it.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure they're maggots? Don't suppose you took a photo either?Maggots need organic matter to feed off and they're cocoons are dark brown. If they're small they might be fruit fly larvae.

Sponsored Links
Cor blimey bookworms, bring back memory, are they red - brownish colour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back