Discovery2 steering pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The power steering on my disco has started whining badly and from a bit of research it seems likely its the pump. I have got hold of one and have looked online as to how to fit it, but my question is this....

It does not seem clear from the instructions I have read as to whether I need to somehow drain the fluid before swapping the pumps, or whether I will just lose a little fluid when I change it and just top it up and bleed the system afterwards.

Anyone have any knowledge? Also anyone who has done it, can they let me know if its as easy as it seems, and how long its likely to take? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Usual procedure is to let the fluid drain into a waste container when you disconnect the pump, just top up and bleed as you describe when finished.
Its advisable to renew the fluid once in a while but this is not always possible.

when undoing you may find the large fitting on the end on the pump will undo rather than the fitting on the pipe.
you will need a good spanner to get this out but it would be fine to use the old fitting in the new pump ( On the development team/ used to make them)
On all these pumps ( same base in XK8 most rovers) we just clamped the rubber hose that goes to the golden pipe on the OE pump. then refilled when done,
bleed just go from lock to lock but never hold on full lock for too long
if this type http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVE...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19dfa2c8e8

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If its the belt driven type just check the tension on the belt first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. especially to stuarturbo, yes, thats the one. Are there any special tools needed, and how long a job is it likely to be for a pretty slow amateur mechanic like me :confused:

And the tyre pressure is as it should be, just a thought?

Not such a bad job really - if the new pump doesn't come with a pulley, slacken the pulley bolts first before removing the belt.
I believe the belt has an automatic tensioner (the one I did had, anyway) so turn the tensioner against its spring to allow you to lift the belt off.
John :)

Nightmare!!!!!!!

Ok so I got the fan off, then the belt and pulley. I had a right job releasing the union nut on the (feed?) pipe on the side of the pump, but got there in the end after copious applications of WD40 and a wallop with a hammer, then it was a matter of doing it all again in reverse.

First problem, dropped one of the nuts that attach the pump, never to be seen again - somewhere in the bowels of the engine bay - nevermind, I'll just have to fit it with only 4 nuts. Then I couldn't get the union nuts (see above) thread to engage in the body of the pump - tried from above, from below, skinned knuckles on both hands until it dawned on me that the new pump had a different diameter hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaagggghhhh!!!!

Didn't have any option therefore, other than to take the whole thing off and put the old pump back on.

It gets worse! While refilling the fluid reservoir, I knocked the cap off the (safe!) place I had left it and it fell down into a completely inaccessible place that despite long nosed pliers, a long screwdriver with chewing gum on the end, and a bit of bamboo cane, I only succeeded in knocking it into an even more inaccessible place!.

One temporary cap (plastic bag and elastic band!) later, I finally got the car on the road again.

My question is, can I use some sort of reducing nut - possibly like this (only the correct size obviously) to link the feed pipe to the pump?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200935495015?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Oh, and when I drove out later I heard a clunk and saw what I assume was the reservoir cap sailing into a ditch in my rear view mirror, never to be seen again - still, only £6 for a new one from ebay!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Errr probably not the best day you've ever had then :eek:
Regarding the pump, I'd exchange it for the correct one, rather than faff about......it'll be worth it in the end!
Be lucky
John :)

We all get those sort of jobs.

You probably can use an adapter like that, but will you have the room to fit it. Availability in the size/thread you need, might also be a problem.

Is the pump still noisy with different oil?

Take a deep breath ...................

Sponsored Links
Back