Dishonourable

• Thread starter cantaloup63
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
When you find similar behaviours spread across multiple cultures, and the religions that they've spawned, you need to look a long way back to find an explanation.

Infidel said:
Religeon and culture, I think not more to do with the dowry system and the economics of selling your daughter.

This is a more widespread than you might think. Even in our supposedly 'advanced' culture, remnants persist. How does that line go: "Who gives this woman --" Do I detect a hint of an idea that the woman in question is a possession? Maybe no money changes hands but it still sounds like trading to me. :( :( :(

Might I suggest that you can trace this back to our prehistoric, proto-human past when females were a commodity to be herded. :idea: :idea: :idea: Many other species do exactly the same. In fact we are very much the odd ones out. :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is nothing to to with immigrants, since this sort of behaviour presumably is the norm in whatever country they choose to live in. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/nearly-3-000-honour-attacks-uk-last-093420242.html What's "honourable" about this? What the heck is wrong with these people?
This is everything to do with immigrants, because by importing people from all over the world into the country willynilly we are importing their cultures as well. Some good, some bad, and in some cases their low regard for human life. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
This is nothing to to with immigrants, since this sort of behaviour presumably is the norm in whatever country they choose to live in. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/nearly-3-000-honour-attacks-uk-last-093420242.html What's "honourable" about this? What the heck is wrong with these people?
This is everything to do with immigrants, because by importing people from all over the world into the country willynilly we are importing their cultures as well. Some good, some bad, and in some cases their low regard for human life. :rolleyes:
Making this an immigration discussion is precisely what I want to avoid. It's the cultural, social and (sorry John) religious differences I wanted to explore.

But if they've come from 'there' and brought their culture 'here' it's an immigration issue.

]Well let's talk about their culture there, and not here then :)

At first glance, some cultures would appear to be based on "Family Honour", yet these same groups, live in a male dominated society where it's ok for the man to do what he wants to do,,, but woe betide that their women should want a say, in anything.
I know Asian families who follow this "family honour" system, and quite honestly it's only the men folk who enforce the idea. Women go along with it, either through misguided loyalty to their husbands, or (more than likely) through fear of repercussions, should she go against her husbands/families wishes.
I personally don't think it has any place in modern day society.

Sponsored Links
Back