Dishwasher - Bosch Exxcel SGS56E02GB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a dishwasher which is not emptying. At the end of the cycle there's still standing water. I have removed the filter and cover, the wheel behind the cover moves and doesn't seem to be blocked, although it does have some tension. There is not warning about a blocked hose etc. Any ideas what might be wrong as it's now giving me ear ache?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the drain pump impeller is free to rotate (it does have some resisitance and will move jerkily when turned by hand) then check the waste hose end, especially if it goes onto a spigot type connection as opposed to a stand pipe.

Next would be to actually remove the drain pump or if you are competent to connect a seperate supply to just the waste pump and see if it runs.

Thanks Leccy, it took the pipe out last night from the drain, placed it the sink and no water came out! What if I was to fit a hose to the outlet end of the pipe and try to blow the water back?

Also thought about marking the pump sprigot to see if its turning.

Cheers, John.

Please make sure you have unpluged the appliance before you start working on parts etc, water and electric do not mix well.

Sponsored Links
Can you hear the drain pump running when you reset the machine?
Pump failure is a common fault but sometimes even if you hear the pump the impellor will be loose and then the pump is very weak.
If you get a reassured flick every quarter turn when you use your finger to push the impellor around then usually its a good pump.

Trying to blow back down the drain pipe wont work as most of the machines have a non return flap valve.On some of the Bosch machines the
flap valve is just behind the impellor and can be pulled upwards and removed for cleaning and flushing the drain.

Take a look at the exploded machine diagrams on the Bosch support site.

A pump swap is relatively easy as the pump is bayonet mounted and can be twisted away from the housing(there is a lock tab that has to be pushed back to disengage)

The DW worked for a couple of months and is now playing up again. Not sure if it's a coincidence but the wife put a cleaner tablet in the application a day before it went wrong again.

The pump is working and the pipe is not blocked as I tested the outlet in the sink. It's just leaving standing water (variable amount) in the bottom of the appliance.

Any ideas?

Have you checked that there is good flow from the pipe when you
drain(reset) the machine?

I always check this with the waste pipe into a bucket and then poor a basin
full of water into the machine so that it is just below the salt cap and then
switch on and press the reset.

The bucket should fill in a minute or so.......longer and the pump is weak

If the machine is washing ok you either have a pumping out problem or the
machine could be overfilling.

Its normal to have some water in the bottom but not above the filter.

You may need to take of the lh panel and clean out pressure chamber
and transfer pipe to sump if you havent done this already.

The dishwasher is again playing up and not emtying. I took the side off and apart from some crude at the top of the heatexchanger it looks ok. One thing I did notice was the Heat Excahnger didnt empying at the end of the programme, is this normal?

Yes, I removed the pressure chamber but did not clean the tube as I couldn't see how to get to both ends? I ran a 'Intensive wash' and the HE empited but still there was standing water.

Thanks.

As you can see the problem I have with the dishwashed has been going on for some time. I have done everything that been recommended and the fault normally clears only to return several weeks later. Usually it's a matter of emtying the water with a vacuum cleaner - I have no idea why this appears to work! The wash gets to the finish and I can hear the pump whirling but there's still standing water above the salt cap.

Any ideas before I call the pros?

Albeit sad I was watching the dishwasher during it's cycle. It was on a quick wash and one minutes said there was 18 mins remaining the next 1 min and it completed leaving water in the bottom. Is this normal could it be that the washed is not completing all of it's phases?

Does the water get hot during the wash part of the cycle?
The way I look at it there are two possibilities. The machine may be under-filling (because of crud build-up in the pressure chamber/transfer hose). Or you have a fault in the heater circuit. Are you sure you cleaned both the pressure chamber & transfer hose well?

Zipper, thanks for your reply and advice.

I have run the washer on an intense cycle and the water does get hot.
I have cleaned the pressure chamber a couple of time but it always appears clean. You talk about the return hose, is this the pipe that is under the pressure chamber; is this also known as the Sump Inlet Hose? What's the best way to get access to both ends of this pipe?

Once again thanks.

A few posts up there is a link to a thread on the UK Whitegoods forum, it has some useful photos. You need to remove the short ribbed pipe in the first photograph. It is around 10 - 12" & has an o-ring connection on each end, it simply pulls out one end at a time. Remove it completely & flush it out well with hot water, if you have a bottle-brush give it a good scrub whilst flushing. Empty the sump as much as possible before removing the hose (some water will still run out so have a towel at hand). You should be able to remove it without taking off the drain pump, but if you find it too difficult then take that off first (twist fitted but remember to press the locking tag before twisting it off). Worth noting that removing the drain pump makes checking its mechanical function much easier. Clogged transfer hoses are VERY common problems on Bosch/Siemens dishwashers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back