Dishwasher connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
Im moving to a new rental house next week. It doesnt have a dishwasher so today i went to look at the compact ones on sale as there is a sink in the utility room that i could hook it up to. But that got me thinking - could i connect a slimline or full sized dishwasher to the sink in the same way as a compact one? Ie i hook the inlet up directly to the tap, and the outlet just lies in the sink.
Would this work or am i missing something very obvious? Sorry if this is really basic - ive signed up here with the hope of learning!

Sponsored Links
Depends on the terms of your lease.

Theres nothing in it that excludes me from doing it. Rather than plumbing it in to the sink pipes i'm wondering whether it can just be connected to the tap like with a compact one

Sponsored Links
You're going to have problems just connecting the inlet pipe to the tap for a start. First it's end will be 3/4" BSP female connection designed to be screwed onto a washing machine valve tap. So you're going to have to adapt/bodge that connection to the tap somehow. Plus standard hose that comes with a full size machine will be unlikely to reach up to sink tap and may kink on such a route.

Unless it's going to be properly plumbed into kitchen/utility cold supply and waste, forget normal machine. Go for compact.

Also, isn't carting crockery, glassware, cutlery, etc, etc, etc to and from the utility room going to be a real b*lls ache?

You're going to have problems just connecting the inlet pipe to the tap for a start. First it's end will be 3/4" BSP female connection designed to be screwed onto a washing machine valve tap. So you're going to have to adapt/bodge that connection to the tap somehow. Plus standard hose that comes with a full size machine will be unlikely to reach up to sink tap and may kink on such a route.

Unless it's going to be properly plumbed into kitchen/utility cold supply and waste, forget normal machine. Go for compact.

Also, isn't carting crockery, glassware, cutlery, etc, etc, etc to and from the utility room going to be a real b*lls ache?

Thanks this is very useful. The utility is right next to the kitchen in a small house so thats ok. Sounds like i'll have to have a chat with the landlord and see whether he's ok with it being plumbed into the utility sink.

If you are allowed to plumb in. Be aware some dishwashers have leak protection this warrants a 'valve' at the water pipe connection.
Probably best to have a connection tap/valve with vertical outlet connection.

Aqua-stop-fitting-237x300.jpg

Do read this :- http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/aqua-stop-hoses/

We have Neff stuff, both washing machine and dishwasher incorporate differing 'Aqua-Stop' kits... The wash m/c only on fill pipe, the dishwasher incorporates inlet and drain pipes to the 'aqua-stop' valve and hence from valve to sink drain pipe.

Believe me, you need (as in pix) vertical valves AND a good 12 ins clearance below the valve thread - if for example fitted in a cupboard or near floor.

Best get a look at the fittings on your desired machine at a local showroom before altering any plumbing.

My advice? Keep clear of the kit using these ridiculous large tube accessories - waste of time, money and above all space !

-0-

empip is that set up similar to the one used on ikea dishwashers?

Perhaps the Ikea jobby has an Aqua-Stop valve for cold in, and, as with my washing machine, a standard drain tube?

This is a view under my sink, busy and murky, stained pipes from using sprays to free up isolation valves. Note the size of the convoluted pipe from the dishwasher to the Aqua-Stop, wouldn't want to be too constricted for depth under isolators.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back