Dishwasher Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into my first house! We are desperate for a dishwasher. I've found 47cm of space next to my washing machine for a slimline dishwasher.

There is a socket supplying the washing machine in the cupboard which I want to remove to make way for the dishwasher. The socket seems to be surface mounted to the cupboard. Once I remove the cupboard what should I do to move the socket and supply the dishwasher?

I've attached photos

Any help or advice really appreciated!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 212
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 194
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
You may have to move the socket into the other cupboard left of the washing machine.

You may be able to make the socket into a double.

Is the socket controlled by an isolator or switched fused spur above the worktop or somewhere?

There are theories about supplying two heavy loads from a double socket.

That said, I think it was decided that a double socket made by MK could carry two 13A loads with no trouble.

Depending on your wiring, it may be possible to have two single sockets, but more info would be needed first to make a decision on this idea.

The socket will need removing and you'll need to chase/cut out for a metal back box into the wall.

The power / isolator switch serving the washing machine & dishwasher should be accessible & you'll probably have to fit them above counter. It really depends how the cable to that socket runs and whether it's part of the ring or just a Spur?

You may have to move the socket into the other cupboard left of the washing machine.

You may be able to make the socket into a double.

Is the socket controlled by an isolator or switched fused spur above the worktop or somewhere?

No, they (previous owner) has only installed that socket. There is no spur. I know a spur with an isolation switch for both appliances would be the correct installation. However, we intend to remove the kitchen and move the kitchen to another room in the next few years. Would it be acceptable to just move the socket and convert to a double socket?

Sponsored Links
I would say that would be ok, as said an MK one supposedly is good for 26 amps, ie two appliances.

The next question is though, is the cable long enough to do this, and if not, how would you correctly extend it??

The socket will need removing and you'll need to chase/cut out for a metal back box into the wall.
Where did you plan for this socket to be located?
To the side of the dishwasher - impossible
At the rear of the dishwasher - not practical as you would only be able to access it by pulling out the whole appliance.

I would suggest that the power for both the washing machine and the D/W should be sited under the sink.

Need to see where the power to that single socket originates from..

I would never have guessed it was a previous-owner DIY job with that butchery on the cupboard back. Good god!

Be sure to add a brace to the underside of the worktop/wall once you remove that carcass, it may not be very well fixed (anymore)!

There is no requirement for such local isolation for appliances therefore its position is irrelevant.
If the terminals use screws it must be accessible.
Oh yes, I was not suggesting it could be under the floorboards but responding to "The power / isolator switch serving the washing machine & dishwasher should be accessible & you'll probably have to fit them above counter".

l would move the WM to the right and put the DW on the left next to the sink. Re-route the socket wiring to cupboard under the sink and change it to a double MK one. If it's a short term solution.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back