Dishwasher just won't work

S

Susiejb

Hi there.

Can any of you plumbers please help with this, I will try to keep it brief:

We gave my son our old dishwasher...working perfectly....connected it up and it wouldn't work, brought it back home to see if it was a fault ...connected it up here and it worked perfectly again.
So we took it back and tried again....and it just wont let the water in.

It is connected with the proper fitting and I have checked with the Water Board and they say the area doesn't have low pressure. The washing machine works fine ...but the dishwasher is really annoying it just wont work.

Has anyone ever encountered this and is there something we are missing :confused:

Thank you
susie.

Sponsored Links
Very odd.

Any signs of life at all when it didn't let water in, e.g. lights coming on? Obviously, the water valve won't open if there's no power.

Could possibly be something silly like door not closed fully?

One other possibility... a lot of machines have a leak detection system with a lump of expanded polystyrene in the base. If the base fills with water, the polystyrene floats and pushes on a microswitch which cuts the power and stops more water coming in. These sometimes move in transit and could potentially lodge in the off position. Might be worth jiggling the whole machine up and down a bit on the floor when it's in its new home to make sure nothing's stuck.

Good luck.

Dishwashers prefer mains pressure Susie (or at least most of them do).....you haven't connected it to a tank water supply, have you?
John :)

The first dishwasher I ever fitted didn't work... it was a new appliance so manufacturer was called...

to find I hadn't cut off the spigot blanking end on the waste outlet on the trap! We live and learn!

Worth you looking at their outlet!

Sponsored Links
Chris.....when you put water in manually it works so its must be ok.
Will try a bit more 'jiggling', although it has nearly been kicked out of the door more that once when it has failed to work :)

burnerman....they do not have a tank...so it cant be that :cry:

leakydave
when you fill it manually the water goes out so it can't be that :confused:

I know it sounds absolutely stupid, thats why its so annoying :evil:

Are you getting water through the valve.

the wee blue handles can fail if the valves a bit stiff to turn.

Thank you Jim, but yes we disconnected it from the dishwasher and made sure it was coming out of the pipe.

Thank you all for your replies.....I just hoped for a 'magical solution' ..... maybe its just not to be ...... but if you think of anything else please let me know.

Annoying thing is I didn't even need new dishwasher....now I have two :confused:

Check the inline filter fitted in the inlet of the machine (if it has one) it will just pull out with pliers, (after you take the fill hose off) it could be blocked and you may have better pressure at your house.
also check that you are not kinking the hose when its installed at your sons

Matt

Sometimes the electric solenoid valve inside appliances can fail to open if the pressure is too high. This sounds counter intuitive but it can happen; the valve relies on a pilot hole to operate the main diaphragm and the correct pressure is everything. It might sound daft but try starting the programme with the kitchen cold tap or garden tap running, this will lower the pressure slightly and prove a point. If that's the case, a new solenoid valve may work.

Hi Susie. :) :) :) I've read the replies so far and my money is on water pressure. When our dish washer wouldn't work one day I thought its time was up. :( :( :( There was a quiet trickling noise but it just wasn't filling properly. I don't know what made me think about low water pressure because all the other taps were working but :idea: :idea: :idea: --

I put my thumb over the end of a cold tap, turned it on and was surprized (and more than a little relieved) to find that I didn't get wet! A quick call to Northumbrian Water confirmed that "due to a burst main, our pressure was below normal".

Water pressures vary depending where you are. The pressure at your son's house might not be "below normal" for the area but it might be lower than yours.

Thank you everyone...we shall battle on....my husband hates to be defeated...I think at this very moment the dishwasher is out on our driveway connected to our hosepipe to test various water pressures :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back