Dismantling uPVC door

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am buying a property which needs extensive refurbishment. The uPVC front door frame is exactly the same height as the length of my settee and the width is too narrow for it, so it would have to go through vertically and swivel round, which is fine as there is plenty of room inside, but no room height wise. It's either going to not quite fit (really annoying) or get damaged (a new settee so much more annoying).
As there is literally no room for manoeuvre, how easy or otherwise would it be to remove the top lip of the door frame? I intend to change the door for patio doors anyway in the fullness of time, but ideally I'd like to keep it secure in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
if you have any room above the door frame [about a foot]
then sofa depth at roof level you should be able to enter the door at the angle where it will hopefully fit then through the door swivelled to fully on end ??

I also had another look at the dimensions on the DFS site and there's a small note that says the arms can come off for easier delivery, but not entirely sure how easy that is. Yes I have room above the door frame, thanks for the suggestion.

Hi,

It's usually quite simple to remove the door from the frame - it might buy you a bit of extra wriggle room?

Alternatively, have you got a window big enough?

Sponsored Links
Thank you. The removals chappie was here yesterday and seemed extremely knowledgeable. He's happy to take the arms off if needed, and that's a good suggestion about the door. Thanks again. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back