Disposal of ammonia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend has a bottle of ammonia in her shed that she wants to get rid of. Does anyone know the safest way to dispose of it? I guess taking it down to the local tip or putting it in the bin is out of the question due to it's hazardous nature.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Amonia is a gas that adds to the 'greenhouse effect'. Household amonia is the gas in solution and is used for general purpose cleaning.

If it is the former it must go to the tip. If the latter - treat it as you would treat any other household cleaner.

The quantity involved is very small as its used as a household cleaner and in smelling salts.

I would suggest that its diluted in a bucket of water and tipped down the loo.

Its milder than Harpic!

I am assuming its just a small bottle not exceeding one litre.

Tony

Sponsored Links
A lot of assumptions.

It might not be a small amount, and it might not be household ammonia.

It probably is, but it wouldn't be safe to suggest that someone tips several litres of saturated ammonia down the loo....

And that is a realistic scenario - I've got half a gallon of 0.880 in my garage waiting for me to get round to disposing of it...

Why I'm concerned to find out about Stuart's g/f's is if it's the household stuff, why not use it for its designated purpose? Excellent for cleaning windows.

It turns out her ex bought it for cleaning a stain out the carpet or something and she won't touch it.

It is household ammonia and she does not want to use it because of the fumes so I think it will be going down the bog!

ban-all-sheds said:
Why I'm concerned to find out about Stuart's g/f's is if it's the household stuff, why not use it for its designated purpose? Excellent for cleaning windows.

And paintwork! Used to get it in big brown bottles~~~~~long time ago~~~~sigh. Can only find it in boots chemists now. :rolleyes:
2 tablespoons in a litre of cold water will cut through most grease, great for kitchens. I use it instead of sugar soap before painting, gets greasy fingermarks off effortlesly and no suds to rinse offf. Though it does smell like stale **** :)

stuartinlancashire said:
My girlfriend has a bottle of ammonia in her shed that she wants to get rid of. Does anyone know the safest way to dispose of it? I guess taking it down to the local tip or putting it in the bin is out of the question due to it's hazardous nature.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

give it to the local asbo,s im sure they will sniff it and with a bit of luck will snuff it,

Sponsored Links
Back