Distance of switch to end of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just removed a redundant doorway, in a victorian house. It used to be the rear bedroom, but passing through it, there is now a toilet then a bathroom door instead.

Above the 'gone' door frame, there is a wooden 4 X 4" beam going right across, I can now see through the gaps at the lath ends, that it isn't supporting anything. At the side of the old frame is 1/2 brick piece of jutting out wall that narrowed the opening of the door frame. I don't need the beam or the jutting out wall, but the landing light switch will be 1inch from the gap, is this too small?

Cheers, Camerart.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Not in itself as it should be safe once the work is complete, but what about architraves, liners etc? Will there still be room? If it seems to look a bit "odd" there are slim switches often used in kitchens, but fine for a normal lighting circuit

Sponsored Links
Not in itself as it should be safe once the work is complete, but what about architraves, liners etc? Will there still be room? If it seems to look a bit "odd" there are slim switches often used in kitchens, but fine for a normal lighting circuit

As long as it complies with the regulations?

All frame, architrave and liners gone, just a smooth wall/corner.

Cheers, Camerart.

The regulations would be building regs for removing the beam (if applicable) and any changes to the wiring (none). From an electrical safety point of view, the wire and switch must be in line (a safe zone) so it is clear that there will be a wire there to anybody drilling etc. If a new wire then RCD protection is required. For you it is not (although always a good idea). No problem for your proposal.

The regulations would be building regs for removing the beam (if applicable) and any changes to the wiring (none). From an electrical safety point of view, the wire and switch must be in line (a safe zone) so it is clear that there will be a wire there to anybody drilling etc. If a new wire then RCD protection is required. For you it is not (although always a good idea). No problem for your proposal.

Ok, Thanks. this was rewired 3 months ago with RCD at box.

Cheers, Camerart

:oops: Bit embarrassed this morning!

Went up the loft to check the nonsupporting beam and found it is the wall plate for the roof trusses, where the house changes shape, so better leave it.

I'll move this to building forum.

Thanks all for you help.

Cheers, Camerart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back