Disused Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hi,

New to here. Recently bought a house which I am renovating. I'm hoping to mount a TV on the chimney breast. On opening up the fireplace (removing an old electric fire) I've seen there are several old gas pipes in there. I'm assuming these would be fairly simple to shorten back as they aren't used any more?

Also the Flue Liner is still there from the chimney. And appears to have concrete around it about 4-5 inches up. The chimney stack itself was removed and blocked up before I bought the property.

Is it possible to remove the liner some how? Or at least shorten it to the concreted bit?

I should clarify I'm hoping to use the chimney to hide the wires from the tv. And install shelves in the fireplace for the equipment.

Pictures below

Regards

Rob

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
Do you intend to open up the chimney breast with a recess containing your TV etc?
The clean brickwork in the fireplace was done to provide a fresh backing for the installed (elec.) appliance.
The sand and cement and perhaps some other material (vermiculite) surrounding the metal flue liner might only be shallow and easily pierced - then again, it might be filling the flue, so to speak.

The pipes could be a gas pipe, & flow and return from the old back boiler to a cylinder. You must be dead certain the the gas in particular is redundant - its best cut and capped off as near to the gas meter as possible.
There might also be an electric feed lurking in there?

If you post a photo of the whole c/breast could you outline where you want to open it up?

The chimney breast itself will just have the tv mounted on it not opened up for a recess. With a hole drilled into the chimney behind the tv to allow to drop the wires down (if possible). The electric wire I'm aware of just leads to a socket on the exterior of the fireplace.

If possible I would move that inside aswell as it would be the power for the tv and equipment.

Drive a long chisel or old screwdriver up into the S&C and see if you can pierce it.

As above a photo of the whole c/breast would help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I'm away now till Sunday but will take a picture and give it a go then. Will post the results.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back