diverter valve

bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to replace a diverter valve on a combi boiler,do i need to be corgi reg to replace this,thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends how you interpret the rules and which model boiler it is, but as long as you are not breaking a case seal or needing to remove or alter any components in the gas train then no.

It is a grey/gray area. The whole appliance is classed as a gas appliance and therefore you shouldn't touch it without being registered. The parts you want to change, however don't have anything to do with the gas sections so it's ok. According to CORGIMAN, corgi sit on the fence on this. What exactly do CORGI give us (registered installers) for our money?? We seem to be giving them a stick to beat us with (if we f uck up that is).

all gas appliances can be fitted by the person living in there own house but and it is a big but if anything went wrong you wouild have to be able to show you where competant to fit said items are you competant and can you prove it ( all tools and knowledge of gas needed )
this is exactly what corgi told me when i phoned them to complain of joe public being able to purchase gas appliances direct from the high street

grey area indeed they need to show some bottle and stop the sale of gas (apliances directly to the public) and not wait to kick them when they do a bit of diy

Sponsored Links
And if you were really good at what you do you would spell "competent" correctly!

SPECIAL EDIT !!!

Just for John the Scruff!! Today is the 15th of October 2010.

Quite apart from the CORGI issue...

IMHO changing the diverter valve on many Combis is definitely 'don't try this at home'. If the boiler leaks or fails to work after you've 'repaired' it, you've paid a lot of money for the part and you'll have to rent-a-CORGI anyway. Also, depending on the fault, it may not be necessary to change the valve at all.

i never said i was an english teacher then again who needs to be to do errr diy agile know wat i mean ? so picky if you dont believe the grey areas phone toothless corgi for yourself that is what i was getting at not condoning any diy on a gas appliance hmmm shall i spell check or live danjerusly lol ah waht the hekc

Tut tut Agile, you should never start a sentence with and or but.

I suppose you are right these days, but back in my grammar school days we were never allowed to begin a sentence with a conjuncture....how standards slip.

ollski said:
I suppose you are right these days, but back in my grammar school days we were never allowed to begin a sentence with a conjuncture....how standards slip.
It has nothing to do with slipping standards, and everything to do with changing usage.

The idea that conjunctions such as but and and should not be used to begin sentences was described as "dead" by Gowers in 1948, so either you were in school a long time ago or you were badly taught.

Definition
conjunction (CONNECTING WORD) [Show phonetics]
noun [C] (WRITTEN ABBREVIATION conj)
a word such as 'and', 'but', 'while' or 'although' that connects words, phrases and clauses in a sentence

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

What words cannot be used at the start of a sentence?

Words which usually join sentences are not used to start them. You should not use 'and', 'but', 'because' or 'so' to begin a sentence.

I am quite sure you can come back with a fascinating grammar fact, but in order to keep this forum from reaching the banality of the screwfix one, I concede.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back