DIY and the law!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know if anyone knows this, what time can i start my DIY and finish it within the law.
I wouldn't start too early anyway, thinking about 10am on a sat and 11am on Sun then finishing about 5pm on sat but a lot earlier on a sun.
The reason i'm asking is i've got a a***hole of a neighbour that thinks that as he doesn't do any DIY nobody else should.
I'm not constantly banging or using drills but there is the odd bit of banging and drilling every now and then, nothing that anybody would say is over excessive. He even complains when we put up a picture hook!
So i wanted to know what the law was so i know i am working within those rights and he can't complain!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
There seems to be nothing set in stone regarding what times you can and can't make DIY noise but a quick google comes back with....

There are no set times when DIY can be carried out but we recommend that noisier activities (such as those described above) are restricted to the following hours:

•Monday to Friday - 9am to 7pm
•Saturday - 9am to 5pm
•Sunday or Bank Holidays - No noisy work

People expect to be able to enjoy some peace and quiet at the weekends and in the evening. In particular, DIY noise must not interfere with those attempting to sleep at night. This is especially important if young children are living next-door.

So i guess the only option is to speak with your neighbour and ask them which times would suit them, i would also guess that they cannot be unreasonable either by giving you 1 hour slots here and there, might be worth a call to your local council and get advice from the EHO

Sounds like he's the sort who's only happy when he's got something to moan about, and he's going to complain regardless of how accomodating you are.

In that case I'd just tell him to go f*** himself and do whatever suits you whenever it suits you.

Unless you're making excessive noise REALLY late at night then Environmental Health at your local authority aren't even going to be interested.

Sponsored Links
My DIY loft conversion on my off days, A Sunday is a 10am start ( work all Saturdays) and my day off in during the week it is a 9am start.

Raised one comment from the "long time unemployed house of 4" next door mentioned the early start, the reply she got was "that's OK you have another 6 days to lay in" LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back