The law and DIY wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm just about to fit a kitchen for a customer and also quoted to do the wiring for the kitchen.
The customer is a computer software field engineer and wants to do the wiring himself. I have advised against this as I am a fledgling domestic installer and realise that there are several departures from BS7671 on the existing system. I believe that he really hasn't a clue what's required to install a safe and compliant system especially as he has already made a start which is totally bodged.
What are the legal implications of him undertaking the work?
I just get the feeling that he'll get me to fix it all after the kitchen is fitted by which time it'll be too late.
He's obviously not going to inform building control, but I would like to know if he's actually breaking the law

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What are the chances that he will do it himself when you have finished and try to blame it on you when it catches fire?

A very tricky situation but I suppose anyone could do that.

Let him know the law. If you have to connect these circuits to the CU then YOU have to take responsibility for them.

I'd just make sure that he\she signs a quotation\statement that you have nothing to do with the electrical installation if they decide to carry it out themselves.

So it's not as if the police will come round, sling him in the back of a meat wagon and bang him up then!
It seems that there will only be penalties to pay if something goes wrong like injury/fire or both.
I think that I will get him to sign a disclaimer as suggested

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
More likely that when he comes to sell the house the buyer's solicitor will want to see the notification and certification.
At that point the house sale will stall and there will be a big long process while it all gets tested, properly.

This sort of thing kills house sales, stone dead.

at the end of the day, you just quote to fit the kitchen if he doesn't want you to do the electrics..

that's entirely up to him, and at that point, it's also up to him to inform the LABC if he does it himself..

like has already been said, make sure that the paperwork for the job entails exactly the extent of the work you are doing, and that you accept no responsibility for the electrics or their current state if you aren't touching them..

make it CRYSTAL clear that you will under no circumstances test and inspect any electrics he does..... unless he pays quite handsomely.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back