DIY Car Tyre Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know if this sort of tool is worth the money (£55) for removing car tyres?

I have 9 tyres to do (2 sets and a spare)

Any other suggestions / tool ideas welcome.

I did see a you tube video of a chap who knocked up a crude tool with wood and a scaffold pole, but with the price of timber at the moment, the eBay thing is probably cheaper!

Thanks
Andy

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I used to use something like that years ago. Air powered bead breaker though. Just about okay for standard aspect tyres on steel wheels but will make a right mess of alloys and if you’ve no experience, you’ll struggle to fit low profile tyres. I think you may struggle to break some beads with it too.

Last edited:
You would need to balance the tyres and tyre shops charge the same money for fitting and balancing or balancing only.
Leave it to the experts.

I used to do mine with a scaffold tube and a block of wood, hard work made harder when petrol garages got rid of the high pressure inflators - then you had to blow them back on with lighter fluid, and they still weren't balanced.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input folks. At this stage I’m only looking to remove tyres - as I want to refurbish the wheels myself before new tyres get fitted (and I’ll leave that to the professionals)

Try going to an independant tyre shop and ask for a deal for removing the tyres with a promise to return for the fitting and balancing when the wheels are refurbed.

I used to do mine with a scaffold tube and a block of wood, hard work made harder when petrol garages got rid of the high pressure inflators - then you had to blow them back on with lighter fluid, and they still weren't balanced.
I didn't know forecourts no longer had air lines, probably because I always check/re-inflate my tyres at home.
I'm not surprised though as the equipment was often abused by moronic drivers & I expect 'elf 'n safety may be a factor as well.

I didn't know forecourts no longer had air lines, probably because I always check/re-inflate my tyres at home.
I'm not surprised though as the equipment was often abused by moronic drivers & I expect 'elf 'n safety may be a factor as well.

What they've got rid of are the high pressure ones that you need to provide the large initial amount of air to fill the tyre and push it onto the bead seats.

What they've got rid of are the high pressure ones that you need to provide the large initial amount of air to fill the tyre and push it onto the bead seats.
'Ah, misunderstanding on my part .. thank you for the clarification.

Try going to an independant tyre shop and ask for a deal for removing the tyres with a promise to return for the fitting and balancing when the wheels are refurbed.
The refurb place I use removes, refits and, balances them. I would have thought they all did that, no?

He wants to refurb himself. Could you not deflate and then hack them off somehow?

Mrs Mottie had to pump a tyre up in a petrol station the other week as the TPM said it was low. Cost her £1.50.

What a big drama over nothing, take to a tyre place have them removed, take them all of a minute or or so each, give them some money, they'll also need to cover the cost of disposal if you leave them there. Stop being a tight git.

These are steel wheels for my 1956 Berkeley.

Need to take the 40 year old tyres off (someone wants them for display purposes). I’m then going to strip the paint, treat the rust and repaint the wheels myself.

I already have the new classic tyres (520 x 12 so dinky!) which I bought online from vintage tyres. I’ll find someone to fit at a later date…although the Berkeley folks say fitting isn’t too bad as there’s an inner tube for the tyres.

Various stages to the process (at different time) so I don’t want to be trapesing around various tyre places to see if they might remove tyres for me, where for the sake of £50 I could do it at home at my leisure.

Hence my question to see if these tools work!

Not like I can drive the thing to the tyre fitters at the moment :D

IMG_0369.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back