DIY disasters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some while ago, the Henry I keep in the garage, suffered motor issues. Investigating, I found it not worth fixing, so I scrapped it, but kept the hose and attachments. In the meantime, I bought another make of vac, with a too short hose, so I cut the end fitting off the Henry one, at the vac end, to extend it, last week, putting the cut off part in the bin.

This week, Avril brought home from work, a Henry which was surplus, and about to be binned, but lacking it's hose. She was planning to bring the hose which belonged to it, today. No problem, I thought, thinking to save her bringing the hose - my workshop bin hadn't been emptied for a couple of weeks.

I went through the bin, found the part, spent an hour refitting it to the Henry hose, then attempted to connect it to the latest Henry, only to discover they had changed the design. The old Henry had a female socket on the vac, with an internal thread, the newer one uses a male with an external thread.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Change of design they can no doubt justify, more likely built in obsolescence. My pet hate was some kahrs engineered flooring, same finish, depth and length, but a few millimetres wider so cannot replace the damaged plank.

Blup

Change of design they can no doubt justify, more likely built in obsolescence. My pet hate was some kahrs engineered flooring, same finish, depth and length, but a few millimetres wider so cannot replace the damaged plank.

Then the next day, she brought the proper hose, but minus the female end fitting. Then finally, the following day, the absent end fitting - all now working great. Curiously, the hose diameter is slightly larger than my old Henry one, it wasn't just a change of female to male connection. Even more curiously, the attachments for the working end of the hose, remain the same size and fitting.

I had wrecked my old one, using it as an emergency wet vac. which wrecked the motor bearing. I attempted to just replace the bearing, but the motor cannot be disassembled - it was a new motor job, and simply not worth that much investment.

Sponsored Links
Back