DIY Electrical NOT...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post, thought I'd contribute something...

A couple of years ago I had the bright idea of replacing my Economy 7 time switch (I know - 20 year-old heating).

I bought a simple 7 day timer for about £50, switched off the mains and wired it in. Programmed a full 7 day cycle and tested the manual switching (electronic button) for my water heater and it seemed fine.

I was up late, very late and heard a bang; wtf. There was a big black soot stain on the wall above the now fried switch.

I was lucky, I may have went to sleep while the kitchen burned down. I 'forgot' to check the electrical rating on the new timer (5A) when I should have got 30A! :oops: I probably shouldn't have touched it.

Now, the only thing I change is a fuse in a plug. To think, I used to check if a light-fitting was live by licking my finger and stick'n it between the two prongs :!:

Sponsored Links
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, never ever get a job doing bomb disposal :p

Sponsored Links
mcarson, you sound like my kind of electrician!

Would you be up for replacing a domestic consumer unit in the house of a person I don't like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back