Timer for electric towel radiator

SL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to put an electric Dimplex towel in my bathroom and would like to to fit a timer so I can make use of economy 7 but still want it installed so I can use it during the day if required. I can't find any on the internet do they exist?

Sponsored Links
You could use a timer designed for an off-peak Immersion heater. Some of then provide off-peak heating with a manual "top-up" at peak rate. They will switch a 16amp appliance which should be suitable.

Horstmann do such a timer, it is about £60

Be aware that if you have separate circuits for off-peak electricity (like an old "economy 7 installation) then you will have to have two supplies to the timer. Since it is in a bathroom as well (which is notifiable work) look for a suitably qualified professional electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme.

p.s. see http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Water_Heating_Index/Immersion_Heater_Timers/index.html

p.p.s. at this price it might be cheaper and easier to have two heaters.

I do have separate circuits (off-peak and on-peak) but it is my understanding that between midnight and 7am, both circuits are on the cheaper rate (day rate 35p + vat). I only have space for one towel rail which will have to be connected to the on-peak, hence the timer. If I turn in on when I get up, its just staring to get hot when I have finished, and the kids forget to turn it off, so are left on all day.

The work will be done by a part p electrician, but I just need to work out what I want and need and where to put it.

Thanks

You just need a general purpose timer, and set it E7 plus any daytime boost you want.

I'd go for a simple 24h mechanical timer, with a separate horstman boost switch for when you need extra heat.

Sponsored Links
then a simple timer with an override would do it. Again, an Immersion timer would be suitable. You might not need such an expensive one. They do not have their own fuse, so if it is off a ring, you will need a fused flex outlet or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back