DIY garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large solid brick built garage in our garden which is not a garage anymore as it only has a single door entrance... It is all laid out with electrics etc and used to be used as a carpenters workshop

I have an idea to convert it into an office... which will house a fair amount of computer gear so it needs to be insulated and relatively dampproof

Basically it has solid concrete floor solid v thick brick walls (2 maybe 3 bricks thick in places).. timber sloped roof with felt covering.

Now to make this into usable space a builder quoted me and simply said he'd board it out etc.

I am thinking I may try it myself as my DIY skills are ok-ish and I fancy learning

basically as I can understand it I have to put insulation material between rafters and put up plasterboard to ceiling and then fix battens at intervals to all walls fill gaps with insulation and again attach plasterboard.. then I need to possibly get it skimmed and fit flooring of my choice.

problem is I am not convinced it can be this easy

1) damp... it doesnt seem particularly damp but I am guessing there is no damp proof course so how do I stop rising damp? I realise that I can get plasterboard with a dampproof backing and I could put down a thick plastic floor covering before attaching plasterboards and fitting flooring but will this be adequate? I'm not expecting this to be as perfect as a room in my own house just usable as an office.

2) Battens.. size and distance between them? Saw somewhere somone used 25mm square battens and used rockwool 24mm thick for insualtion... again is that adequate as obviously it has no heating internally (I will be putting some electric powered radiators in.

3) Insulation.. again packing lots of stuff into gaps will help and some plasterboard comes with insulation layer (cant combine that with damp layer tho)

I have checked google and I cant see obvious website for DIY garage conversion or a decent guide on plasterboarding...

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
cellotex and/or kingspan are what you need, and lots of it.

plus a bit of ventilation. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back