DIY gas thread - I'm confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading the DIY gas thread and I'm confused about some things.. but that thread is locked so created this one in the hope that someone can clarify. In that thread it says

Water-carrying parts of a boiler unrelated to gas or airflow, such as the pump or hydraulics, can be worked on without gas training, though you still have to be competent, for example electrically.

Now this says you have to be competent to even work on the water side of the boiler. Ok I would like to ask my question in terms of an example:

Oh dear, the diverter valve is leaking and pump doesn't work, plus there's a leak on the return pipe going into the boiler. I know I'll try to fix it.. but I'm an incompetent fool.. so the end result is lots of PTFE, pipes going in all directions, wiring spaghetti junction and let's throw in a minor leak into the mix as well which I've used a bucket to collect and empty weekly

So I've fixed it to my incompetent standards. Now the above quoted text says I have to be competent but I clearly wasn't. My neighbor phones 999 and snitches on me - what's Dibble gonna do about it?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Now the above quoted text says I have to be competent

I don't think it is worded very well. It is just a post on a forum though, not the law. I'm talking about water pipes/fittings, not gas.

Sponsored Links
It all comes down to culpability IMO.

If you work on the wet side and it leaks all over the place or blows the electrics and you send in a claim and the insurance company then asks, who did that? You say you did it .... they then ask are you competent to work on that and can you prove that you are, if so then we might pay out .... if you weren't competent or can't prove it then on yer bike it's your own fault.

Same with gas .... as a professional qualified gas engineer, if something goes wrong and people die then criminally it is looked at in a different way than if you weren't qualified, say murder as against homicide etc.

I think that the DIY GAS thread is misleading in that case - there is a big difference between saying you cant and you should not

Also, the DIY gas rules are also confusing - the way they are written I cant imagine any DIYer ever satisfying the constraints.

Once again correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to be describing the following individual:
Someone who has had the appropriate training and passed the appropriate qualifications. He must also have a FGA which has been calibrated at least once every year

Is my interpretation above correct? Is that the only type of DIYer that qualifies to work on gas?!? I contend that he isn't DIY-er but a fully qualified professional!

OK let me ask the DIY gas question by way of example; like I did before:

Joe bloggs decides he wants to DIY replace his boiler. He puts pen to paper and determines the appropriate pipesize for the gas run is 22mm. He proceeds to install the boiler.
  • He positions the boiler and flu correctly (away from any windows at an appropriate height, etc)
  • He cuts the flu down to the correct size
  • All pipework is installed and clipped properly
  • Jig installed correctly and boiler correctly mounted
  • Flu installed correctly as per MI's
  • Condense is installed correctly and terminates in the sewage drain
  • 3 A fuse installed with Fixed Fused Spur
  • Wiring is done correctly and stat installed
  • He tests the gas with a manometer
  • In short he does everything correctly (except the below)
Joe bloggs doesnt do the following:
  • Use a FGA
  • Fill in the benchmark
  • Register for warranty
The boiler works fine and serves the house perfectly fine. Now the nosey neighbour reports to the police again. What is dibble gonna do in this situation?

I've just re-read the reply from @Madrab , and I think he's actually answered on the gas side as well. So, in the case of Joe's illegal installation.. the authorities won't do anything at all. The rules are not enforced under this situation

The rules are retrospectively enforced if something bad happens. Eg if there is a gas explosion then they hold the installer to account.. if he was a DIYer that is when the chickens come home to roost

So maybe the law measures the competency by the results? So in my example, maybe Joe is technically competent?

So in my example, maybe Joe is technically competent?

Not really. The ACOP to the Gas Regs say;

52 For the purposes of GSIUR, ‘work’ includes do-it-yourself activities, work undertaken as a favour for friends and relatives, and work for which there is no expectation of reward or gain, eg voluntary activity for charities. This means that anyone carrying out such work must have the necessary competence, as required by regulation 3(1). However, membership of an HSE-approved class of persons (under regulation 3(3)) is required only by businesses carrying out gas-fitting work

81 Gas work should only be undertaken: (a) by a person who has successfully completed an industry recognised training course followed by assessment of competence. Training that leads to assessment of competence in safe gas work should be recognised by the industry’s standards setting body; or (b) in the case of a currently or previously registered person, where they have proved competence through a certification scheme; or (c) for those working at premises that fall outside the scope of the Regulations (see regulation 2(4) and associated guidance), by a person who has successfully completed an appropriate full training course followed by assessment of competence. 82 Training should be of a standard to enable a gas engineer to achieve competence in the safe installation, purging, commissioning, testing, servicing, maintenance, repair, disconnection, modification and dismantling of the gas systems, fittings and appliances with which they are working. This should include an adequate knowledge of: (a) relevant associated services such as water and electricity; (b) the potential for exposure to asbestos; (c) the dangers these may give rise to; (d) the precautions to take.

I think it is pretty clear.

@denso13 in your highlighted part there was that magic word... should!
Gas work should only be undertaken..

I would have no argument with your interpretation if it said
Gas work must only be undertaken..

So the question remains, is Joe legal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back