DIY boiler installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After reading up on various regulations, their does not appear to be any reason why a competent DIY person can not carry out the relevant preparation works and replace their own boiler. the Gas conection, commissioning along with the flue installation will however have to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered person

In my case I intend replacing the existing floor mounted boiler from a pumped heat and gravity fed hot water system with a Vaillant 630 wall mounted system boiler which i believe will be relatively strait forward

Any reason why a competent DIY person should not carry out this work or advise on any tips

Sponsored Links
Any reason why a competent DIY person should not carry out this work

no

before you do anything tho drain and refill the system at least a couple of times

then add a decent cleaner for a while

then repeat

i assume this is a follow on to your power flushing post :?:

crap in the system has to be one of the biggest killers of boilers (regardless of the make / cost)

so get it clean before you start ;)

Would I be correct in saying all the pumps, valves, expansion vessel required to convert a gravity heated hot water, vented system to a fully pump sealed system, will allready be incorperted within the system boiler unit

Sponsored Links
The pump and expansion vessel will be. but not the 3port valve etc.

Personally I would be looking at a heat only boiler and adding the pump etc to a standard Y plan system.

I would advise that you have a shop around to check that you will actually be able to get a gassafe installer who will be willing to complete and sign off your handiwork.

I have done numerous DIY boiler installation jobs and to be frank, it can be a lot more hassle than it's worth, especially if the boiler breaks down and you will find it hard to find a gas fitter that will connect and commission a boiler that someone else has fitted. My main problem was finding a gas fitter that could understand anything more than the most basic boiler controls.

Tony, how is a DIYer deamed to be competent? I am not being rude or cheeky but competance is not self claimed but proven in an exam

experience can also play a part in competence.

who is more competent a fresh faced 16year old with an ACS ticket or someone with 20years in the job but no paperwork. :?:

We've been through the competence argument too many times now. If the op is prepared to take responsibility for the wet side of it and possibly the electrics, then if he follows the MI to the letter and can get a rgi to finish, then that's up to him. It depends entirely on finding someone who is willing to complete the install.

I would find someone and folow theer advice if I were him, thus the "safe" part of the installation would be under supervision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back