DIY gas

And no one has yet said how they can prove their competence outside of acs .
Crucially, the legislation doesnt mention acs... so that's something you've dreamt up.

Even more crucially, the legislation doesnt go into detail about what a competent person is. So it is open to interpretation.

Once again, if you think the law needs to be more detailed... grab your acs placard, go outside parliament and stick it to them. Until then DIY gas is perfectly legal for competent guys.

Competent does not mean a piece of paper issued by an institution, it is what you do – THE RESULT. I know many incompetent people who have bits of paper with flash badges on the heading.

It is that simple. That is the law.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Someone got it wrong if you get an invented cylinder wrong people can die.and gas can kill a lot
of people,just look on telly when there's been a bang.if diyers start doing gas then expect more bangs and bigger ones too,BUT remember this if you do your own gas then you take the responsibility for it like we do,and,if it goes tits up it down to you like if we cock up we take the
blame and quite rightly so.I think when you end up in court having caused someone's death and you face the judge I'll laugh out loud when your arse is going tanner-half crown.

Has anyone got factual information about the causes of explosions involving domestic gas . Specifically the number caused by defective DIY work compared with the number caused by defective work by "qualified" tradesmen.

if you think the law is wrong go to parliament with a loudspeaker. No point shooting the messenger.

btw fireworks also go bang and kill people. You gonna protest against that aswell?!?

btw gas tradesmen are the main culprits of bad and dangerous gas work

Sponsored Links
I would love to shoot the messenger you thick ****, why have you dragged up a 5 year old post ?

I can think of several, and no I'm not going to say. I imagine you'll now accuse me of having no clue - but guess what I really don't care what you think. I know what my qualifications and experience are, you don't - and I'm not going to tell you.
I'll also point out that several of you are making a big leap of illogical thinking - not for the first time in this forum. You seem to be assuming that because someone points out the "error in statements being made" (or would you prefer the more blunt description - outright lies) means that that person is advocating that someone jumps in regardless. FWIW, I know very few people I wouldn't advise to just leave well alone.

Has anyone got factual information about the causes of explosions involving domestic gas . Specifically the number caused by defective DIY work compared with the number caused by defective work by "qualified" tradesmen.
:ROFLMAO:
You want actual facts from people that can't even quote a short bit of law without getting it wrong ?

Just in case you didn't get the joke:

'What's the difference between a conductor and Radox bath salts?'

'Radox bath salts bucks up the feet!'
What's the rail strikes got to do with this:unsure:

They can't.

If a DIYer did their own gas work and it led to death or serious injury, then in court the prosecution would ask that very same question.

They would quote the only reference to what constitutes a competent person by citing paragraph 3 as I posted (regardless of the fact it relates to employed people) and the HSE interpretation of a competent person.

They would then state that for the sake of a few quid, the accused undertook the work without these qualifications and competency, leading to the death or injury of the victim.

Good luck getting a jury to do anything other than have them play hide the soap with Leeroy.

What would the DIYer who caused a gas-related accident be prosecuted under?

Is it different from a DIYer who causes a stairs-related accident or a floor-related accident?

They can't.
I disagree
They would quote the only reference to what constitutes a competent person by citing paragraph 3 as I posted (regardless of the fact it relates to employed people) and the HSE interpretation of a competent person.
So that would be the bit that says "should" and not "must" and actually doesn't define what a competent person is. And yet again, that is guidance, it is NOT law.

They can't. [how they can prove their competence outside of acs]

If a DIYer did their own gas work and it led to death or serious injury, then in court the prosecution would ask that very same question

And if death or injury follows work carried out by a tradesperson how would that tradesperson prove his or her competence ?

They would have to admit that they were incompetent while carrying out that work. What does that say about the "scheme" or "organisation" that had passed the tradesperson as being competent.

How many DIYers have carried out work without causing any death or injury. Isn't that an indication that the work was carried out in a competent manner. ?

What would the DIYer who caused a gas-related accident be prosecuted under?

Is it different from a DIYer who causes a stairs-related accident or a floor-related accident?
Manslaughter may be a possibility.

From CPS:
Gross Negligence Manslaughter
This is where the death is a result of a grossly negligent (though otherwise lawful) act or omission on the part of the defendant.

So regardless of the views of some about "should", "must" and what constitutes law, I'd rather not risk staring down this gun barrel for the sake of a £100 call out.

So the same as if he incompetently build a staircase and someone fell off it?

Are there any laws that forbid DIYers from doing their own staircase or boiler repairs?

I'm not sure why we keep feeding the trolls. It's a consistent theme that most of those "in the industry" don't want the truth to be known - or just can't grasp the truth where it disagrees with the propaganda their industry body has taught them. There's a similar problem with (a lot of) electricians who take what their schemes tell them at face value even when it's clearly bending the truth.
But in answer to the questions asked ...
I suppose that if you were to fit an unsuitable flue (for arguments sake, you used a bit of flexy liner to go between the flue blocks in the wall and the ridge terminal and fastened it in place with gaffa tape) then that would demonstrate lack of competence.
Or if you fitted the proper twin-wall flue pipe but didn't support it other than with gaffa tape to the flue terminal then that would demonstrate lack of competence.
I suppose it would demonstrate lack of competence to then install a gas fire connected to the flue made with flexy liner.
I suppose it would also show lack of competence to leave out a seal in the combustion chamber of a room sealed boiler.
Or how about installing a boiler flue that doesn't meet the rules ?
Would those count as the sort of thing DIYers would do out of ignorance ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back