diy boiler fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have read the guide on diy gas work but i am not sure wether or not it answers my question which is, Can a competent person fit a gas boiler in place but not connect it to the mains or gas. Then have a gas safe engineer connect and carry out the Commissioning? Thanks for reading Mark

Sponsored Links
says who?

on a technical note, it's not illegal to do the gas work yourself either as you're not doing it for profit.. however it is HIHGLY recommended that you get a gas fitter to do that part as your house insurance would have a fit if they knew ou did it..

the water part shouldn't be a problem I don't think..
as long as you're aware of and follow any regulations regarding position of the flue etc..

Hi, i have read the guide on diy gas work but i am not sure wether or not it answers my question which is, Can a competent person fit a gas boiler in place but not connect it to the mains or gas. Then have a gas safe engineer connect and carry out the Commissioning? Thanks for reading Mark

Legally, yes, if you're competent and you're not doing it for payment or reward, i.e., on your own boiler.

Although someone may consider themselves competent, many people have delusions of their own abilites; for proof of this, watch the X-Factor.

You would need to contact a Gas Safe technician before carrying out the work, since many will not consider signing off a boiler installed by another person. Others will charge a disproportionate amount for the gas work, making it uneconomic for you to carry out the work yourself. You need to have the installation registered to comply with the Building Regulations and you will have a problem if you want to sell the house and do not have any documentation.

Edit to add; I forgot the bit about 'anyone employed to work on gas', must be Gas Safe registered.

A landlord working on gas appliances in his rented property (as mentioned below) is working for gain indirectly and so should be an RGI.

Sponsored Links
I'd like to see someone with no relevant experience or qualifications prove their competence in a court. You'll also have difficulty finding someone to sign off someone elses work

It's probably also quite legal for you to do your own brain surgery on yourself, but why would you want to?

I have seen quite a few DIY lash-ups that I have had to put right. Best you seek a local installer to do all the gas/boiler work. Meanwhile you can fit and pressure test the heating circuit.

How would you prove your competant? by undertaking Gas safety exams, the same way that we do. You want to work on gas, pass the exams. Simple!

Best option maybe to call some rgi's run by them what you want and ask if they would be willing to let you do as much as possible (and legal) yourself.

I would have no issues with you doing the wet work but wouldn't commission the boiler or connect up the gas if you have fitted it......it's my name on the self cert form!

Oh and i once let a bloke do all the wet work.......filled boiler and had to come back 3 days later......while he traced and fixed all the leaks.....extra 80quid call out on top of boiler fit and gas run

leakydave";p="1471487 said:
It's probably also quite legal for you to do your own brain surgery on yourself, but why would you want to?

lol sorry i did not know knocking out a vent and drilling four holes in a wall was comparible with brain surgery pmsl :LOL:

:) If an R.G.I.commisions an appliance that they have not installed , they will as far as the H.S.E ,corgi/ gas safe , are concerned take full responsibility for that installation .
The H.S.E have made Corgi , aware that they are applying the following interpretation , any work on a gas boiler , including the final connection of water pipework to the boiler must be performed by a corgi reg installer .
Corgi , read gas safe , above applies to installation
Source M.Rolfe corgi tech manager . June 2008.

mark333";p="1471560 said:

lol sorry i did not know knocking out a vent and drilling four holes in a wall was comparible with brain surgery pmsl :LOL:
frontal lobotomy ...easy . Nitting needle through the eye socket next to the eyeball . and wiggle :eek:

I'd like to see someone with no relevant experience or qualifications prove their competence in a court. You'll also have difficulty finding someone to sign off someone elses work

The reality is that people with some qualifications and/or some experience who are of the opinion that they are competent. Some are. Some are deluded and are grossly incompetent.

How would you prove your competant? by undertaking Gas safety exams, the same way that we do. You want to work on gas, pass the exams. Simple!

That would be a simple demonstration of competence or of incompetence. However DIYers cannot take the exams because the trade association of gas installers will not allow them.

This is a tired old argument. The law allows DIYers to work on their own boilers, if they are competent. Some of you may not like that, but that's the law. The OP would be best advised to search the arcvhives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back