Fitting my own boiler - how much can I DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I start, I'm fully aware that a Gas Safe registered person is required for gas work and other related bits, but I still have a question I'm finding it hard to get an answer for.

I want a new boiler in a new position. I'm a competent plumber and can do all of the water work myself. Assuming I read all of the manuals and current building regs regarding mounting positions and plumbing, am I allowed to buy the boiler, mount the wall jig and plumb in the water before calling my local Gas Safe registered engineer to mount the boiler, to the jig, fit the flue, plumb the gas and commision the boiler?

From what I've read on the law I won't be touching anything that is not permitted, yet I can't get a definite answer from internet searches.

Thanks,
Max

Sponsored Links
If you just plumb in water connections only and leave the fitter to run the gas and fit the boiler/flue in theory that should be OK, BUT finding someone qualified who will get involved in that sort of job will be difficult, as an ex Corgi installer I would never have considered it, too many potential problems. If I do a job that's fine but having someone else even if they are competent doing bits of it would worry me.
Apart from any safety issues there may well be problems with the boiler later and disputes as to whether it's the boiler installation or the pipework that's the cause of the problem will cause all sorts of conflict.
Also and please don't take offence, there is the worry that in situations like this the customer may be a bit too "hands on" and "why are you doing that?" for comfort;)

Yeah, I thought that may be the case. If I were an engineer, I wouldn't trust the system I'm connecting to to an unknown DIY'er :)

I'm just thinking of ways to reduce the price, but you have confirmed my suspicions that it may be easier just to get someone to do it.

Thanks.

As the man whose name is on the job at the end of the day I would waste time having to check everything you had done including removing and refitting the jig.

Sponsored Links
If I was to take this kind of job on (and I generally don't) I'd want to fit the jig/hanging bracket and hang the boiler on it as well as doing the gas and flue. If I let you do it, I don't know whether you've used proper fixings to hang it, or a couple of 1" 8s.

I'd also want some input on boiler selection to ensure you weren't either a) buying a pile of sh!te that you're going to come complaining to me about when it breaks, or b) buying something totally unsuitable for your house.

You are allowed to fit the boiler, but, you're going to need to find a gas safe installer that'll actually work with you, run the gas, and fit the flue, and then test and sign the job off - without which you won't get a waranty etc. If you can do that, and he's happy to sign off on the job after getting you to sign a waiver that he's not liable for any faults, then you can do it.

And how are you going to flush the system first.

I wish I could so certainly sum up someone from a one-paragraph question.

Sorry Max, but if registered installer installs a boiler, then they know what's been done, and having done it so many times, the boiler will go in and work first time, and if it doesn't, then it's normally a faulty boiler - simple as that. Now if you install the boiler, and run the pipework to it, it may well be fine, but if it isn't, then it falls on the installer to try and work through an installation that he hasn't done, and then resolve the problem, and you may well be a competent plumber, but this is your first boiler installation, so you've still got a bit of a learning curve. The guy I work with, knows my skills, and is happy to get me to do some of the prep work, and he knows that he can call on me if he needs a hand on things, so he puts up with the odd mistake that I make, so I know where you're coming from, and I know where the others here are as well.

You're working on the assumption that it's straight forward, and everything will be fine, and it may well be, but it's your optimism that warns the guys - and experience.

But if you can find an installer that will work for you, then fine.

Sorry Max, but if registered installer installs a boiler, then they know what's been done, and having done it so many times, the boiler will go in and work first time, and if it doesn't, then it's normally a faulty boiler - simple as that. Now if you install the boiler, and run the pipework to it, it may well be fine, but if it isn't, then it falls on the installer to try and work through an installation that he hasn't done, and then resolve the problem, and you may well be a competent plumber, but this is your first boiler installation, so you've still got a bit of a learning curve. The guy I work with, knows my skills, and is happy to get me to do some of the prep work, and he knows that he can call on me if he needs a hand on things, so he puts up with the odd mistake that I make, so I know where you're coming from, and I know where the others here are as well.

You're working on the assumption that it's straight forward, and everything will be fine, and it may well be, but it's your optimism that warns the guys - and experience.

But if you can find an installer that will work for you, then fine.
Thanks, it seems that this is the consensus, and the obvious answer if I'd have thought about it for a moment. I wouldn't want to sign of a system that I'd only partially fitted if I were a registered engineer. And, as someone else mentioned, if there was a fault it may be hard to say where the blame lies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back