DIY Hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am wanting to make my own hearth - purely decorative, not for a burner. Has anyone made one before? I was thinking laying some tiles over paving slabs. The height of the concrete floor to the lip of the recess is 70mm so would probably have to stack 2/3 slabs on top of one another (stretcher bond). Ideally, I would have lowered the base of the recess but it would mean having to get it all re-skimmed at the bottom.

Attachments

• 03CA8824-47C7-4A74-AE2D-747AF0F36316.jpeg
    03CA8824-47C7-4A74-AE2D-747AF0F36316.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 100
  • 72F06D40-F996-4AD2-9608-4BB370D0FFBE.jpeg
    72F06D40-F996-4AD2-9608-4BB370D0FFBE.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Why not cast in concrete in situ and tile on top of it. Make concrete height less tile and adhesive height.

Is there a real chimney above that fireplace? If so i'd suggest as above-poured concrete and tile on top. Take some pics, if you (or anyone else) wants to put a burner in there you/they know the hearth is up to the job.

Thanks both - I’ll go ahead with pouring concrete in situ - and yes there is a chimney so it would future proof. Daft question but how would I secure the timber frame onto my concrete floor? I don’t really want to drill as there is a risk of puncturing the DPM...

Sponsored Links
Its only 70mm- surround it with loose blocks or tubs full of water, couple of blocks sat on top of the shuttering to stop it floating. If it was deeper i'd say brace sides & front to nearest wall with bits of 3 x 2 or any other gash timber kicking around.

Another way, if you want a rustic look, is to use some nice looking bricks or blocks. Laid on edge as the surround, flat down for the inner bricks laid in a pattern.

Good plan, if you have some spare solids they do look rather good (pic to follow when i surface)

Thanks oldbutnotdead - much appreciated. Another good suggestion Harry. I’d be interested to see pictures of an example if you have any?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back