DIY Kitchen/Diner help.

No need to take up where ^woody^ left off :D

Has he sent you a post card from wherever he's gone to? :LOL:

Actually, I was on the point of adding that it's a good job ^Woody^ doesn't seem to be around at the moment!

Do they actually have post cards in refuges for destitute surveyors?

Sponsored Links
I didn't ask for you POV regarding how competent I am did I?
Yes, you did, but not just me - you asked every single person on this forum to consider your apparent competence when you posted your questions.

I asked questions to get answers, not for somebody to try and dominate the whole process with their high horse type attitude. Seriously, your attitude is awful.
No - my attitude is perfectly reasonable and understandable. Yours is that of a person who does not actually grasp the concept of needing to be competent.

Is it really that bad of me to undergo a change on my property
No.

and try to learn as I go?
Yes. You should learn before you start going, not as you go - by then it is too late if you are going to base your learning on asking questions only about the things you happen to realise you don't know about.

I am a kinesthetic learner
That's a stupidly dangerous and negligent type of learner to be when it comes to building structures.

and enjoy tackling problems
Fine - then enjoy tackling them on the basis of proper structured learning, not watching light entertainment TV shows,

At no point have I ventured into an area which is dangerous or unrealistic,
As a kinesthetic learner who regards light entertainment TV as proper eduction, you cannot possibly know that.

I have carried out what most would describe as general DIY tasks
Knocking down walls is not a general DIY task.

which is what this forum is all about right?
In which case why did you bother asking on this forum if you were going to take no notice of the answers you got?

You mention "structural engineering competence" that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.
If that is really so then clearly you are so deranged that you should probably be confined in a secure institution.

Either you have a different image of the wall in your head or you like the idea of complicating things. The wall was a single skin wall between the kitchen and bathroom which was supporting NOTHING. It came down a few controlled swings of a sledge hammer and the rest was simply picked out by hand.
Are you being deliberately obtuse, or do your mental faculties really not extend far enough for you to understand what facts could actually be gleaned from your posts at any stage?

I would invite you to come round and have a look at my work but I have a strong feeling we would not get along very well at all judging by your sanctimonious nature towards me.
My attitude is not at all sanctimonious, and only someone who was prone to febrile inventions would make such an assertion.

As I said, I was pointing out that the gap between the competence you displayed in your original post and that which was needed by someone who decided to knock down walls was pretty large, and I was questioning whether less than 4 weeks "lots of research" and watching entertainment TV really did give you the competence you actually needed to remove walls.

RonnyRayGun might be perfectly correct in dismissing tony1851's concerns. It might be that he is almost certainly correct.

But does your less than 4 weeks of research and watching entertainment TV give you the necessary competence to make that determination?

there are plenty of other like minded DIY enthusiasts who can/will offer me encouraging advice should I encounter any other issues.
If you were genuinely competent you would not encounter any issues.

Sponsored Links
I didn't ask for you POV regarding how competent I am did I?
Yes, you did, but not just me - you asked every single person on this forum to consider your apparent competence when you posted your questions.

I asked questions to get answers, not for somebody to try and dominate the whole process with their high horse type attitude. Seriously, your attitude is awful.
No - my attitude is perfectly reasonable and understandable. Yours is that of a person who does not actually grasp the concept of needing to be competent.

Is it really that bad of me to undergo a change on my property
No.

and try to learn as I go?
Yes. You should learn before you start going, not as you go - by then it is too late if you are going to base your learning on asking questions only about the things you happen to realise you don't know about.

I am a kinesthetic learner
That's a stupidly dangerous and negligent type of learner to be when it comes to building structures.

and enjoy tackling problems
Fine - then enjoy tackling them on the basis of proper structured learning, not watching light entertainment TV shows,

At no point have I ventured into an area which is dangerous or unrealistic,
As a kinesthetic learner who regards light entertainment TV as proper eduction, you cannot possibly know that.

I have carried out what most would describe as general DIY tasks
Knocking down walls is not a general DIY task.

which is what this forum is all about right?
In which case why did you bother asking on this forum if you were going to take no notice of the answers you got?

You mention "structural engineering competence" that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.
If that is really so then clearly you are so deranged that you should probably be confined in a secure institution.

Either you have a different image of the wall in your head or you like the idea of complicating things. The wall was a single skin wall between the kitchen and bathroom which was supporting NOTHING. It came down a few controlled swings of a sledge hammer and the rest was simply picked out by hand.
Are you being deliberately obtuse, or do your mental faculties really not extend far enough for you to understand what facts could actually be gleaned from your posts at any stage?

I would invite you to come round and have a look at my work but I have a strong feeling we would not get along very well at all judging by your sanctimonious nature towards me.
My attitude is not at all sanctimonious, and only someone who was prone to febrile inventions would make such an assertion.

As I said, I was pointing out that the gap between the competence you displayed in your original post and that which was needed by someone who decided to knock down walls was pretty large, and I was questioning whether less than 4 weeks "lots of research" and watching entertainment TV really did give you the competence you actually needed to remove walls.

RonnyRayGun might be perfectly correct in dismissing tony1851's concerns. It might be that he is almost certainly correct.

But does your less than 4 weeks of research and watching entertainment TV give you the necessary competence to make that determination?

there are plenty of other like minded DIY enthusiasts who can/will offer me encouraging advice should I encounter any other issues.
If you were genuinely competent you would not encounter any issues.

Have a great evening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back