DIY Kitchens

Never had any problem with Wickes Kitchens and actually made a profit when I returned un-needed panels as they were refunded at list price.

I fitted one once, very impressed with quality and if I'm not mistaken the backing panels were 18mm at the time.
I once fitted an Ikea kitchen, I decided there and then I would never fit another one.

Sponsored Links
Ive not had a good experience with Howdens -what Ive found is that they ring you up and tell you 'its all ready and will be delivered on XYZ day' -great so I book in the fitters.....and on the day, guess what: some key bits are missing, sadly for me it was a corner unit missing -had that on 2 jobs.

Our local branch is very good but I've heard horror stories about other branches. Makes a big difference dealing with the right people.

I used them about 4 years ago, very happy with it so far.

Sponsored Links
Comparing notes with the last Howdens kitchen I fitted.
400mm wall unit Howdens £85 + vat
DIY £69 + vat

900mm corner base unit DIY £142.70 + vat
931mm corner base unit Howdens £417.63 + vat:eek::eek:

So, my plan involves 2 corner base units, saving on just those two base corner units £659.83

Can't see any point getting a quote from Howdens.

Howdens price matched, so for ease, convenience and reliability Howdens it is then.

I'm not sure I approve of this 'flexible pricing' approach, it's like dealing with the 'looky looky' men on the beach in Goa.

Did you do Howdens after all? And how do you rate the kitchen?

I'm just costing up some units, like for like, DIYK are cheaper than Howdens for me. £135 for a 400mm painted oak vs £165 from Howdens.

I noticed you had a massive price difference on the corner units... did the Howdens price have all the internal gubbins in it?
Just wondered why is was so different.

Did you do Howdens after all? And how do you rate the kitchen?

I'm just costing up some units, like for like, DIYK are cheaper than Howdens for me. £135 for a 400mm painted oak vs £165 from Howdens.

I noticed you had a massive price difference on the corner units... did the Howdens price have all the internal gubbins in it?
Just wondered why is was so different.

I went with Howdens in the end, they priced matched DIY and they're local to me and I know from experience they're very good at resolving problems/replacing damaged parts.
The corner units didn't have the 'carousel' (they can easily cost another 500 depending on make).
Also, DIY had a dismal selection of worktops, we went with 'grey concrete' worktop and splashback from Howdens.
I'm happy with the end result and the old girl is even happier.

I tried Howdens this weekend.
My local branch is one of the ones with the horror stories aimed at it, but I thought it can't be that bad.
So I went, explained I wanted 8 oak veneer type doors and can they give me a price for them.

No.
Not unless you setup an account.
And that's a NO, I'm not giving them all my information so that they can send me crap just to get the overpriced price for some doors.
Ended up saying no to that and walked out disgusted.

I'll get them elsewhere, perhaps B&Q.

So much for trying to support a local business.

Howdens price matched, so for ease, convenience and reliability Howdens it is then.

I'm not sure I approve of this 'flexible pricing' approach, it's like dealing with the 'looky looky' men on the beach in Goa.

You must have an account with Howdens? I thought the discount depends on the volume of work you do with them?

You must have an account with Howdens? I thought the discount depends on the volume of work you do with them?

It Does, once when purchasing something something in Slough they verified my account, then laughed and said we can give you a better discount than that.
They will budge though rather than lose a sale.

The most practical kitchen is all drawers in the lower frame.

It Does, once when purchasing something something in Slough they verified my account, then laughed and said we can give you a better discount than that.
They will budge though rather than lose a sale.

I went in to look at their kitchens. I inquired about opening up an account. I was set upon by one of their Account Managers who wanted me to complete the form there and then.

I went in to look at their kitchens. I inquired about opening up an account. I was set upon by one of their Account Managers who wanted me to complete the form there and then.

Indeed, I offered the use of my account to the wifes sister and she'd already opened an account.

I must say, I would smell a large rodent at this flexible price malarkey.

We had a quote from Anglian for 4 windows that started North of £9K.

When we balked, it was immediately dropped to £6K.

Got them done by a local company for around £400 each.

Sponsored Links
Back