Diy Loft conversion 2 up 2 down 1900's terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently we are unable to go anywhere so this seems a good idea at the mo.
As We a a bit skint It was some thing i will do bit at a time
The house is a 2 bed terrace with the bathroom off the rear bedroom.
no chimleys below loft but in loft :(
the stairs run width ways
my aim is to
1 beef up the joists to 7*3 ( along side 6*2) running from external wall plate to main wall in center make span 3.75m,
2 install a space saver stair case to maintain max space in loft and reduce bedroom loses ( fire door a lower stair)
3 Fit 2 dormers to the front ( fire access?? and light)
4 partition off the rear bedroom so the bathroom is not a "Through" ( to give 4 separate rooms)
5 build a flat roof dormer to rear ( only thing not sure of how to do yet)
the black is current but red is proposed. arrow being stair direction and the odd line doors
In the loft i have a head off 2.5m down to 1.5 over a width of 3.1m when the stairs are in I'd have a room off ~2m * 3.1m (with out a dormer and round back of stairs.) bless with only the one truss from the mid roof to floor center.

Is this a do able???? and do I make sense. :D
When i do the joists are the current noggins removed and replaced??

I want to do all myself if poss to reduce costs, Electrics I'd do but Part p sparky to sign off. probably end up getting someone in for the flat dormer but does the change how the joists get laid????

and it will be to Building reg etc so i can sell it when/if we ever move.
Just batting the idea to more in the know before the wife get more ideas when the they turn up for a chat lol

Sponsored Links
1 beef up the joists to 7*3 ( along side 6*2) running from external wall plate to main wall in center make span 3.75m,
You'll need a structural engineer to provide a design/prove the wall will support the loadings etc. Trying a lofty under Building Regs without an engineer will be nigh on impossible. Very rarely do loft conversions not require steel beams.
2 install a space saver stair case to maintain max space in loft and reduce bedroom loses ( fire door a lower stair)
If you must although plenty of prospective buyers will be put off by one.
3 Fit 2 dormers to the front ( fire access?? and light)
Extremely unlikely you'll be able to get Planning Permission for front dormers.
the black is current but red is proposed. arrow being stair direction and the odd line doors. In the loft i have a head off 2.5m down to 1.5 over a width of 3.1m when the stairs are in I'd have a room off ~2m * 3.1m (with out a dormer and round back of stairs.)
Don't really follow this tbh. You'll be surprised how much existing headroom you'll need when you take off the a bit at the top for insulation/board/additional structure and potentially add the depth of some steel beams at floor level, this may also have a knock on with your stairs.
bless with only the one truss from the mid roof to floor center.
As mentioned, another reason why you'll need an engineer.
Is this a do able???? and do I make sense. :D
When i do the joists are the current noggins removed and replaced??
You'll need to familiarise yourself with the relevant Building Regs which although simple for a lofty they may will not be so easy if you have little knowledge. Still your here which is a good start. ;)

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingregs/
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonloftconversion/
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...s/workcommonloftconversion/workmorebrloftcon/

Thanks freddy
As mentioned, another reason why you'll need an engineer.

Def to do all the tech stuff

Planning should not be a prob as I intend to fit velux window not a dormer to the front not as i worded it

the black is current but red is proposed. arrow being stair direction and the odd line doors. In the loft i have a head off 2.5m down to 1.5 over a width of 3.1m when the stairs are in I'd have a room off ~2m * 3.1m (with out a dormer and round back of stairs.)
Don't really follow this tbh. You'll be surprised how much existing headroom you'll need when you take off the a bit at the top for insulation/board/additional structure and potentially add the depth of some steel beams at floor level, this may also have a knock on with your stairs.
the way i read it steel beams are not always needed double up current beams??? (hence the need for a "proper engineer" :D

I don't think what i said is clear.
that sketch show the 1st floor with the black outline being how it is currently, ( up the stairs the right into the rear bedroom the through to the bathroom)
We did try to sell to rent, most seemed to prefer not to walk through. If we do this it will give myself the larger front bedroom about 3.1x3.7m then a smaller room for our boy or girl then one in the loft.

The current loft is 2.5m high to below the rafters in the centre.
at a distance of 1.5m from the hip the height has dropped to 1.55m
With a Dormer I could get a room 3.7mx3m( this is a least 2m height)
If i go for a proper stair i feel I'd lose to much in the loft and bedrooms to make it worth while.

Speak to a loft conversion company, preferably one of the ones with an office & get them in to do a quote.
You don't have to take it but they will give you more of an idea about what you may need to consider.

You will need to BC involved because you will be making structural changes to the roof. They may also want some steel to support the ends of the new joists (if I'm reading your description right ).

With the space savers the regs say they should only be installed where there is not enough space to accommodate a normal stair case (just been reading it) & then to only one habitable room or bathroom.

Agree the previous about the space savers but when it comes down to it people will prefer the extra room to nothing (even with the spacesavers) one thing to remember though a lot of BC don't like them.

Sponsored Links
Just an update
A couple of loft conversion places straight off said "steel work required"
However spoke to an structural engineer and backing up the current joists will meet and pass regs ( he has done a couple with no steel work) He is just getting someone to inspect the current set up and then Go from there.

Space saver seems a go to

Is there a reason that the company's wanting to convert go for steel,
Is this a proven route with what appears high material cost but lower labour??? ( i call see the the floor being much easier to make above the old set up)
Whilst timber strengthening is a much more labour intensive job ( drill bolt timber and clearing out to fix to current wall structure) with out the proven strength record.

My drawing progressing.

Update
SE and draftsman done there bit just require paying
Crossed wires somewhere :(
But
Conversion is a all go With NO steelwork required
normal stairs but just need to take chimney stack out in the loft and support on gallows brackets ( up the stairs into the space where the stacks meet)
leaving me with a new room the same size as current bedroom below as the dormer will be off the exterior wall and almost full width now

Good stuff & thanks for the update, how about a some weekly photos to show how it progresses, would make a good thread to be able to link to for others! ;)

It's some I will be doing But I have a feeling it's going to be a long one. (tight on money hence doing it myself)
I am going to keep a good financial record as well to give an idea for personal comparison and possible guide

Update said it would be slow

All go reg passed off drawings
will have a 3 step winder stairs??, chimney on gallows and
best off all no steel work at all (probably use it for the stud walls though lol)
Got a family loan of 4k which is my what will be a poor guessitmate of materials probably.
Starting in the new year and brought the first purchase the velux appeared at a bargain price Keeping records of all costs for future reference

good luck...just getting to the end of ours and floor going down next week- has been a journey!

Did get a few of the trades in but still saved a good amount of wedge!

Not sure why these loft companies are so adamant about the steels?

Ours was perfectly doable in timber and plenty of head room- I think it makes it quicker for them to install, smaller timbers etc but it is other peoples money they are spending.

Started by emptying the cupboard one evening and got carried away.
just take the wallpaper off.
oh and this bit of hardboard
and the wood and plaster behind resulting in the first hole.
This will be the winder staircase
Trip to screwfix and timber yard next week for materials

What i hope to achieve
[/img]

No update but slowly progressing no external help as yet
Stairs made Build reg lady seemed happy at stairs and front floor stage.
just need to put tread on as I did not want to damage them
New view from rota window shame its the store room outside all done from the inside
Stack removed but finishing still required. With flich beam
where the stacks ended up
is it correct that i was just working out skip size or Hippobag There is about 1.7 m^3 apparently on the floor (8*5*1.5ft)and it bricks are about 1977kg/ m^3 so apparently I shifted 3260kg of brick!!! I don't believe that

Weekends work but have next week off to complete!
All done by myself, ended up leaving the tarp on to protect from the sun during the day the roof is a right sun trap hot hot hot. Then rained Sunday night keeping me awake,

I think what you've achieved is awesome. I have a mid terrace Victorian and am just planning. Getting the same good/ bad advice you got a few years ago. Is there any chance you could spare some time and give me some good factual answers based on your experience. As yourself I'd like to do most of it my self and don't want to go the steel route!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back