DIY Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last 18 months or so (after planning for a while) I've been working on our loft conversion. I'm only now creating a thread as progress has been slow as I can only work on it on the weekends, plus most of the early work was a lot of work with no real visual effect.

Full plans and structural calcs were done and it is going through BC.

After emptying the loft and before work started

fitting the steel 'lintels' over the windows and doors below and the full length of the bungalow

Sponsored Links
I ordered the stairs online (flat pack) and put the together before fitting

Sponsored Links
removing purlins, adding bracing, new purlins, ridge beams, etc. We used 225 x 200 oak for the new purlins and ridge beams.

removing the wall (I had my brother help me with this), installing the steel and having the window fitted

IMG_1821 (Custom).JPG
IMG_1822 (Custom).JPG
window (Custom).jpg

That's a great view, i can understand why you chose a big end window!

That's very interesting, I live in a bungalow, just measured my external gable to gable at 33 feet. How may sections is each steel beam made up of ? sorry to ask so many questions. Im thinking of doing the same thing myself.

3 sections each side. There are two masonry walls underneath, these have padstones on top and the steels rest on these. The splices are right next to the padstones and the lengths vary depending on distance to the padstones/walls below. Steels are 203 x 133 x 30kg.

It's worth speaking to an architect or someone similar local to you. I don't understand why people want to do loft conversions without the proper planning and calcs, 'to save money', Plans and calcs were about £1200 plus building control fees, it's nothing in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back