DIY Loft Conversion

I've not updated this much as there doesn't seem as if there's much interest. For those that are the pics below were up until about 2 weeks ago.

Dormer/bathroom floor

Fibreglass roof on dormer - this was hard!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We are interested, and there's some very useful reference material here, thank you.

I considered fibreglass for my flat roof but went for EPDM, which was easy. I think if I'd tried to do it in fibreglass I'd have ended up with my boots stuck to the roof.

Cheers
Richard

As long as I'm not wasting my time then that's cool only there were only 2 responses from like 700 views!

I didn't want a flat roof at all to be honest, I had to when building the dormer as I couldn't get enough head room! I then wantd EPDM too, the only problem was it can be very windy where I am and I didn't want it blowing everywhere when fitting - especially as I was doing it on my own.

I didn't want it blowing everywhere when fitting - especially as I was doing it on my own.

EPDM is pretty heavy. How did you find the fibreglassing and are you pleased with the result?

Cheers
Richard

It's hard going trying to wet the mat thoroughly before the resin goes off, it's not bad - I might sand it next summer and re-topcoat it as it's a little rough in a few areas.

I think this is awesome. Lots of people like looking at the photos but might not say anything for various reasons. Very inspiring. Im tempted to have a crack at mine next year. Keep up the great work. :)

I think this is awesome. Lots of people like looking at the photos but might not say anything for various reasons. Very inspiring. Im tempted to have a crack at mine next year. Keep up the great work. :)
Thanks mate, it's been a slog that's for sure! I've got a week off next week so hoping to fit the last of the Velux and plasterboard the second bedroom.

Looks good - just done my own Loft conversion on a bungalow, 3 dormers, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.... was pretty hard work.

Just curios... whats the insulation blanket your using? - building control insisted on 150mm of cellotex in my roof 100mm between the rafters over tacked with a further 50mm prior to boarding out..

Looks good - just done my own Loft conversion on a bungalow, 3 dormers, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.... was pretty hard work.

Just curios... whats the insulation blanket your using? - building control insisted on 150mm of cellotex in my roof 100mm between the rafters over tacked with a further 50mm prior to boarding out..

Thanks, it's Superquilt, double layered. There's a lot of negativity towards these quilts but I've not even plumbed the heating in upstairs yet and it's pretty warm to be fair.

Well embarrassingly it's taken almost 4 months for an update! I've been crazily busy in work, the weather's been crap so I haven't been able to fit the last 2 velux in the bedroom and I stopped working in the attic a few weeks before Christmas so I could finish and redecorate the dining room ready for Christmas dinner!! Excuses over....please see below

not many pictures but fitted the waste in the bathroom before SLC

after fitting the shower tray and underfloor heating and insulation

SLC

As the ceiling is quite low in the bathroom I couldn't fit a normal light so i opted for LED spots. The only problem was trying to make sure vapour control layer was right whilst ensuring there'd be enough room around the lights so they didn't over heat. I came up with this idea as i couldn't see anything for sale that would work...I'm not quite sure if this will be any good but it was the only way I could think of making sure it was tight. The top of the 'boxes' are 50mm celotex.

I cut the polythene around the outside of the boxes and used foil tape to shut the edges.

just finishing the pipework so I can plasterboard now

and finally, weather was pretty good last weekend so fitted the last 2 velux

Last edited:
All looks great, good job!!!

I love the views - I too have similar ones of the Snowdon range.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back