DIY or not DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've only been here (on the forum) for a short time and have so far found it very helpful however, after reading this post I'm starting to get a little confused (easily done when you know me)

I came here thinking it was a DIY forum, but the discussion about plastic plumbing on this thread and advice I was given when I asked for help with my central heating question inferred that I shouldn't have been using it as it is a DIY solution.

But surely that is exactly why I used it! :eek:

I would have thought many people coming here are going to use DIY solutions and not more advanced methods\techniques\materials otherwise they would more than likey have the knowledge to help themselves.

That said I have found the general tone to be more than helpful :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are all sorts of people in the world, and some of
them come in here.

Unfortunately your post got smothered in some kind of spat.

Mod Rupert

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
simon-t, I'm not sure what your point is. Many plumbers have an enormous fried long thin potato on their shoulder that a lot of what they do can be done without having to work for peanuts for years for a miserable person in order to claim time served status. Get yourself a blowlamp, and a large mixed bag of yorkshires, practice for a while, and make your own mind up. Softus gives very good information on this subject. I know several plumbers/gas engineers who frequently use plastic systems, and highly rate them in the right circumstances. If you're confident to diy then do so, otherwise get someone in.

Sponsored Links
The point was I suppose, is why knock a system such as plastic plumbing because of it's DIY nature when you are on a DIY forum. Instead help the person with their task in hand and leave the rants for dedicated threads. Personaly I'm in favour of plastic plumbing as it over came all the worries I had about installing my CH.

Why indeed, and having read all the arguments in plumbing, the knockers have yet to convince me of the inferior nature of plastic systems. And if it is so bad why on earth do the merchants (yes, dedicated plumbers merchants, NOT the sheds) not only stock the stuff, but vouch for and guarantee its reliability? Much as I hate to blow softus's trumpet, he is the only one to make a valid case for his standpoint.

Pushfit fittings have been around for quite some time in the hydraulics industry and some of the systems work at a much higher pressures than mains water. I think they have there uses for both professionally installed work and for DIY work. I would rather use a push fit than a compression fitting which I think is the market they are aimed at.

The two things I don't like about them are they tend to be quite bulky for on show work and the pipe work seems to flop around. This means you have to think about supporting the pipe runs more often than you would with soldered or compression fittings.

Back