DIY Pool Cover

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather than buying an expensive pool cover for my 15ft circular outdoor pool, was thinking about making one.
Any ideas on how to do this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Under £30, you can't go wrong:

Andy

Sponsored Links
Got one that came with the pool like that.
Sorry should have said I was after something that would help absorb and also retain any water heat.

Got one that came with the pool like that.
Sorry should have said I was after something that would help absorb and also retain any water heat.
You could possibly use that pool cover and glue some polystyrene block insulation to the back of it with low-expansion foam?

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Wouldn't you end up with a very delicate giant and very cumbersome foam ring?
Possibly? The concept may need some work! ;)
But it is a very similar idea to LN2 Dewar lids:
10416N-AB-2.jpg

Albeit on a much larger scale! :)

Rather than buying an expensive pool cover for my 15ft circular outdoor pool, was thinking about making one.
Any ideas on how to do this?
Thanks
Look up lids for hot tubs. Perhaps make something similar or buy/modify 2 of them for your pool shape and size?

• Thanks
Just to give you an idea, at 15ft diameter you'd need 6 sheets of 2.4x1.2m polystyrene to cover it completely, each cut to suit to fit the circle, then you'd have to tether them down ....

edit: cocked up the size of the circle, see next post for updated image.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
couldn't the op just cut wedges of insulation and use a pair of semi circular lid made of a plastic material?
Then maybe some kind of tarp like cover that would both tether the whole lot down and also wrap/hide the whole lot when the pool is used?
Some part damaged insulation/excess stock is often on ebay.

• Thanks
couldn't the op just cut wedges of insulation and use a pair of semi circular lid made of a plastic material?
Then maybe some kind of tarp like cover that would both tether the whole lot down and also wrap/hide the whole lot when the pool is used?
Some part damaged insulation/excess stock is often on ebay.
Yes that's exactly what I've seen on hot tubs.

Given the size, potentially the pieces of insulation could all be cut to shape but free-floating, the tarp then hides the lot

• Thanks
funny, I've just listed one in marketplace £50, cost. me £200 its like giant bubblewrap but. obviously thicker. and stronger.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back