DIY project this weekend!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This weekend I am planning to wall paper a feature wall in the living room.

I have two obstacles. The first is some unsightly gas pipes in the corner which I intend to box in. Secondly is a plug socket which is supplied from cables in trunking on the surface of the wall.

My intention is to cut a channel in the wall and to run the cables down and then fill it in so when I paper it will be over a nice flat wall.

I think the wall behind the plaster is made of stone (1840's house) I am wondering which is the best cutting equipment the cut stone if I need to create a bigger channel to run the cables down.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can hire a chaser that has dust extraction or use a 4.5 inch grinder - which is messy.

Will the boxing for the gas pipe be of any assistance for hiding some of the cable?

Sponsored Links
can you not hide the cables behind the skirting? And then fit the back box slightly above the skirting?

The cables come from the ceiling not ground . Also pretty sure it's against regs to run power cables along skirting

The cables come from the ceiling not ground . Also pretty sure it's against regs to run power cables along skirting

You may well be correct. I am not a sparky.

Personally I would take joe's advice but also use an SDS drill to break out the channels.

Chasing will however present a problem when it comes to filling. I would be inclined to use 2 pack. it is more expensive but sandable in 30-40 minutes. Prices in diy sheds will be up to 1000% more expensive than a car body shop supplier (eg I pay £13 for 4L) but finding one open over this weekend will be difficult

Just so you don't waste time and effort, ask a sparky to clarify my understanding that if it is rcd protected then you can go as shallow as 15mm therefore you should not need to cut into the stone

Just so you don't waste time and effort, ask a sparky to clarify my understanding that if it is rcd protected then you can go as shallow as 15mm therefore you should not need to cut into the stone

CN anyone clarify this as this would make my life a hell of a lot easier

Have looked at regs and if its less than 50mm deep then it will have to be invaded in earthed conduit which would still save you a heap of work, ask on the electrics part of the forum you should get an answer there

Have looked at regs and if its less than 50mm deep then it will have to be invaded in earthed conduit which would still save you a heap of work, ask on the electrics part of the forum you should get an answer there
incased not invaded lol

If the chase is directly above the light, you can just use capping, which is just under the plaster.

You can't run gas pipes alongside power cables - but we know you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back