DIY replacement of electrics in kitchen, sanity check & questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It rather worries me that unsuspecting DIYers are reading assertions, which they may regard as authoritative, suggesting that 'standard practices' which have been with us for decades are unsatisfactory, and may actually be unsafe.
It rather worries me that people don't give a toss about the fact that once you have more than 20A on the cable supplying a socket you have no guarantee that the socket will be OK.

As BS 1363 sockets were developed specifically for this "standard practice" it seems to me such a no-brainer for the test to have specified a higher current that the only conclusion to draw is that their performance when current is higher than that is of no interest. Why on earth would they devise a test to demonstrate acceptable behaviour under conditions which they expected to be exceeded in normal use, i.e. a test which would be of no use in demonstrating acceptable behaviour in normal use?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No - it's a fact.
Fine.

If you are neither ignorant of the truth nor a liar you will be able to provide proof that I do not live in London and do not realise that.

If you are unable to do that then you cannot claim that you are simply mistaken, there will be only one thing left - you are a liar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back