DIY replacing MDPE from boundary stop tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...time for me to add to this really useful website!!

Water board recently replaced our stop tap in the street because flow in the house is poor (9 litre/min @ 2.5 bar). Street flow is 25 litre/min @ 2.5 bar. Unfortunately it made no difference.

Points pretty firmly to the problem being on my side of the boundary :cry:

We're currently renovating the house, built 1985, and I'd prefer to replace or re-run with 35mm MDPE myself to keep costs down. No kitchen so I can dig up the floor if needed - I wondered if anyone here has done similar and in particular do you have any advice on;

1) Assuming I can't locate the existing pipe, or its under the driveway (sods law says it is!) I'll need to get under the house footings - is it as 'simple' as digging a hole either side of the wall, inside and out?

2) The street stop tap is about 1 metre outside our boundary, in tarmac path, so I assume I won't be able to get to it to connect a new pipe (can't dig up a public path etc) so will I have to involve the water board again to make the connection for me?

3) Do I need to ensure the pipe is laid in a 750mm deep trench, anything else? Is distance from house a consideration?

4) I know this is a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway :p Any idea how much this kind of job should cost - even if someone can say £hundreds rather than £thousands? In case it helps, street stop tap is in public path and inside my boundary is a strip of grass/some steps into house and the existing water supply is under the house to the rear (typical eh?!)

Thanks (for reading this far) all!
Rob

Sponsored Links
The new pipe (32mm, not 35mm) does not have to follow the same route as the old pipe. You can choose a route that minimises costs and enters the house where it suits you. Cost mainly arises from digging trench, so depends on distance and material to be dug though.

Local water company insists they are the only ones who are allowed to connect new pipe. Was quoted 500 quid for them to make the connection. They also want to see that the pipe is laid correctly. I am in the wrong business

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back