DIY screw piles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone used these? I’m going to be building a 5m x 4m garden room in my back garden, the access is restricted so I can’t get a mini/ micro digger in, so I thought they’d save a lot of digging. I’m aware there’s cheaper Chinese ones but I’ll be using the made in Finland ones

Sponsored Links
Jay w, good evening.

Short answer is yes, I have instructed the use of "Shire piles" on a load of Subsidence repair, Insurance repair jobs. They worked every time.

In answer to your question, sorry I have only used the system above, to be honest, I do not know where they are made?

Bottom line is that this type of "system" does really work well.

Ken.

I looked into these a little as I was thinking of a garden room. They appear to be a good solution although they have weight limits used on the number of ground screws you install; affected by the size of the building you are planning. This is assuming you mean the garden screws that you can literally screw in by hand and brute force? I might have a look at the Finland ones, do you have a link?

Sponsored Links
Jay w, good evening, again.

As above, I have made use of "Shire Piles" which are not a DIY option, in that the piles are always driven by a hand held drilling machine, I have not ever used a hand driven system?

In general terms, Shire use a mix of pile drive [the amount that the pile digs into the ground] and time to drive the pile that distance, this combination of drive depth over time allows the "Design" of the pile to be ratified very accurately.

What would concern me is that because of personal fatigue by the person / people trying to screw even a small vane into [possibly] several strata will be inconsistent, screwing through [say] top soil, then a band of gravel, then a band of sand will all produce differing degrees of resistance to the person / people trying to screw the pile into the ground.

Using Shire [or their equivalent] power driven systems there is a well proven series of ratios [as above] of downward distance over time. There are no such equivalent ratios on hand driven systems?

If it were me considering this hand driven system i would be undertaking a load of research??

Ken

I built my shed and adjoining garden office with a series of concrete pads.

I dug a hole about 300mm square down to good subsoil (varying depths -mostly about 600mm deep).
I then used SHS steel and put joists on top. That was for the shed.

The garden office, I laid 3 concrete strips 250mm wide then put 5 x 2 joists on top.

It did require a lot of digging out to lower the level due to 2.5m height restriction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back