DIY Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm planning on making a shed using 4x2 timber and look at options as to what to cover this with. Shiplap cladding is quite pricey so was looking at OSB3 sheets, not sure if there is a good way to fully water proof this?

Any thoughts on this or other recommendations ?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Do you want the look of OSB, more likely painted OSB as its not weather resistant? And if so expect a life of a few years.

Sheds need an external cladding - timber, plastic, felt, shingle etc.

So it's more a thing of what you'd like to look at and can afford.

Yes was thinking of painting it first and see if its possible to make a water tight using some kind of sealer, but if its not going ot last more that 10 years then i guess it best using something else.

I had a small tools shed made with fence feather boards. The roof was chipboard. It was air leaky but does keep things inside dry.

Sponsored Links
You may have a more life with external grade ply. But check the cost.

If you use OSB, or ply, apply a polymer mastic (not silicone) to all board edges and joints. Better still, a thin cover strip over all joints to seal them.

Design your roof with wide overhangs to keep most of the rain off and have good, rigorous painting schedule with a quality external paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back