DIY Tool Box

Jo Go said:
I've been looking at these...

http://www.vetopropac.com/

Not as big as I'd like but maybe my choice could be one of these and then a tub or something of the sort for my larger tools.

Expensive bags but what's your opinion on these hold alls?
Looks a bit fancy and with loads of things that could break, unravel, loosen, crack, snag or seize.

One of the most important things to me, personally, about toolboxes is that they can stack neatly, otherwise you have to have strong shelving of the correct depth, and I hate taking heavy things off shelves. Hence I have various lengths of Tuffboxes and those Stanley boxes - they're boxy, and they're simple with very little to go wrong.

Sponsored Links
If I open my Stanley toolbox lid fully, the plastic hinges pop out of their grooves. That's my main gripe, but the clasps keeps falling off too.

Several small light boxes inside a bigger holdall would seem to be the perfect solution.

Those Ryobi ones with the ally handle look alright.

I have a largeish bosch holdall which is very hardwearing, came with the 18v kit.

I also use an Ikea holdall :oops: The big blue shopping bags, they only cost 50p, and I can't seem to wear it out. I generally fill it with hammer's, levels, clamps and saws and sling it in the back of van, had it for months.

Ok here we go, I think I've found the tool box I'm looking for. It's expensive but I don't mind because it looks like it's solid and will last. Downside it's heavy by the looks of it but the way I see it, I'll only be using it around the house and it has a pretty large tote tray so I'll be able to put what I need onto that. Has anyone got any experience with these tool boxes?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=119796&MAN=Knaack-743-Toolbox

This is there website...

http://www.knaackbox.com/

743_246_alt.jpg

7745.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've heard good things about knaack, at that price I would be very disappointed if it didn't last forever. But for just around the house? I think it's a lot of dough, most tradesmen don't use boxes that tough and they are throwing their boxes in and out of vans on a daily basis. How about a tool cupboard or workstation in the shed? much more practical if you are only working on the one property (ie: your house)

Toolboxes are good for transporting lots of tools from a 2 b, but at home I like a place for everything and everything in it's place. What you need are tool clips and pegboard.

Deluks said:
I've heard good things about knaack, at that price I would be very disappointed if it didn't last forever. But for just around the house? I think it's a lot of dough, most tradesmen don't use boxes that tough and they are throwing their boxes in and out of vans on a daily basis. How about a tool cupboard or workstation in the shed? much more practical if you are only working on the one property (ie: your house)

Toolboxes are good for transporting lots of tools from a 2 b, but at home I like a place for everything and everything in it's place. What you need are tool clips and pegboard.

Your right and that's what I wanted in the first place but I don't have anywhere to put it yet. I'll be getting a shed in the future once I've sorted the garden out. Then.

Well I got the Knaack 743 today. For anyone thinking about going down the same lines I did here's what I thought...

It came and it was black, for some reason from the pictures I thought it was going to be a dark purple??? It's heavy and I mean heavy! Empty this thing is weighing about 10kg-11kg, I read that weight somewhere and it seems about right. Even the tote tray is heavy. I go to the gym and am a young strong lad and I wouldn't fancy dragging this thing regularly any distance full of tools. Still it is solid and I doubt I'll need a another tool box, ever, this is not going to break. If I eventually need a tool box where mobility is going to be the key I'll invest in a light cheap plastic one, probably the Contico one Softus recomended. If the tool box is based near where it's going to be needed it's perfect, take what you want, take bits n pieces in the tote tray, perfect. I'm quite happy with the purchase although an expensive one.

What is the point in a heavy toolbox - let alone when it has tools in?

All mine are now either stanley or ZAG chests with wheels on.

I really can't see the need to have to carry tool boxes anymore. The only toolboxes I have which are non-wheeled, are small ones with my electrical and plumbing tools in.

Ive had the stanley wheel chests since they came out years ago, and the plastic has stood the abuse and is still OK.

Is there a need for steel tool boxes either? I don't think so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back