diy wooden windows advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm in the process of a total refurb of a 1930's solid wall house. The house has wooden frames and single glazing. The wood is very far gone and Id like to replace with new wood double glazing. But Id like to try it myself. We'll be selling the house pretty much once she's finished. So my question is what spec's should my frames meet and any pointers. Such as,
What wood to use
What treatments
What u value do I need to meet
Etc
Many thanks, Beefy

Sponsored Links
Im assuming you mean you want to buy in windows and fit them yourself?

Making them yourself would be crazy with all the regs nowadays. The testing process to get your window rated can cost thousands.

You need a minimum of a C rated window that is CE marked for building control to sign it off.
Talk to some local double glazing company's to come and survey them for you (they could do a supply only price at the same time). There are so many regulations that need to be complied with that any mistake could cost you a fortune:
Safety glazing, Fire egress, Ventilation threshold heights on doors etc

Tbh, I wanted to make them from scratch. I thought wood would just need to be treated??? But that's why I thought Id ask the question. Its a much better insulator than plastic. I have a friend that makes plastic, but I prefer wood. I'd get the glazed units off my mate, but the rest I'd like to try. As for the signing off part, there's other areas of the house that will need a sign off too, so would hope it could be all done together for a combine, hopefully reduced fee by the council!

As Gazman16 has mentioned, unfortunately the problem you will encounter is that your BC inspector will say how does he know how good your windows are? As you will not be able to provide any certification. It is an unfortunate state of affairs but that is the crux of I’m afraid. You can see what he says but he will probably reject your windows as non-complying. Consequently you may be disappointed if you want that certificate at the end of it. Though if you’re not that bothered about getting a certificate for the windows then you may be able to exclude the windows from the Inspections though not sure if that would work.

Sponsored Links
Making them yourself would be crazy with all the regs nowadays. The testing process to get your window rated can cost thousands.

Most of the standards are optional, though obviously extremely desirable for actually manufacturers to adhere to (fit for purpose etc), of course if you are your own customer that doesn’t matter.

Energy ratings are more mandatory, but there are ways of modelling individual designs for realistic costs.

CE marking is not mandatory in your situation (again because you are building for yourself, there are allowances for bespoke windows).

I don’t really follow your post, for Building Control to accept a window they will expect certification from the manufacturer, who has had their design tested and certified accordingly

Well all I want is nice windows to 'show off' the house. When we bought it, the windows were a selling point for my wife, who love charm/character (as see extra work for me to paint every year). The windows we have aren't certified so, as long as the windows I fit 'are no worse' energy wise that the ones I remove, I could still sell the house on right?

A couple of years ago (before alot of the new regs came in) I fitted some timber windows for a customer (they supplied, I fitted and glazed) and my glass supplier was able to do the u value calculations by providing them with the thickness's of the different parts of the frames.

You may even be able to get away with center pain u values (Im not sure if this rule is still in use).

But the hassle and paperwork was a nightmare, The customer wishs they had gone with PVC.

Also PVC multi chamber windows (standard now) is a much more thermally efficient than wood and the surprising thing is the glass units are better than the frames.

As you are planning on selling once its done I dont suppose your too bothered how long they will last, So what are your main goals?

Are you just after authentic period looking windows for cheap?

Well all I want is nice windows to 'show off' the house. When we bought it, the windows were a selling point for my wife, who love charm/character (as see extra work for me to paint every year). The windows we have aren't certified so, as long as the windows I fit 'are no worse' energy wise that the ones I remove, I could still sell the house on right?

No. You can repair but you cant replace without certification and complying with regulations.
If more than 50% of the frame is replaced you need to do it by the book or it will come up when you try to sell and buyers just wont want to know because of all the legal hassles, The council enforcement team could even force you to have them all ripped and and done correctly.

I don’t really follow your post, for Building Control to accept a window they will expect certification from the manufacturer, who has had their design tested and certified accordingly

Windows don't have to be ce marked where they are bespoke http://www.bwf.org.uk/choose-wood/ce-marking-windows-and-external-doorsets-what-should-i-specify

They do need to show thermal compliance, if you consider that to be certification, but there are a number of cost effective routes to achieve that.

Just going through this ourselves, not had any issues with certification, CE, U values etc. etc. BC popped round on the first DIY installation day and checked three things, kite mark for french windows, that the ventilation was no worse than the previous windows and no changes in fenestration . Once complete they came back and checked the seal and glazing technique.

The frames were made by a mate in his shed, and the glazing units from a standard 28mm? double glazed unit. The glazing provider specified U8? sealant inside and butyl putty + wooden bead outside. That was the crux of our obligation.

We've kept the BC job open so we can do the rest of the windows. The only thing you miss out on for resale is the 'guarantee'.

Thanks Mattice, that's good to hear! And the goal I was after, was to get a nice looking house with some re-sale value, by all done by myself. Maybe this wont work out but just trying ideas. Thanks everyone for the input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back