DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know some DIY work can be undertaken in your own house without any qualifications, but could a unqualified person carry out minor work in someone elses house?

For e.g. Could a electrically unqualified handyman install an extra spur socket on a ring circuit?

Sponsored Links
I think under the building regs, as long as it was compliant with Part P, and wasn't notifiable work (i.e. not an entirely new circuit, not in a special area etc), then it would be OK.

From a professional point of view, if you don't have the correct test equipment and/or knowledge to issue a minor works certificate, I'd have thought you could be at risk of being sued if anything went wrong with the work you'd done, and I wouldn't have thought the public liability insurance you'd have as a handyman would cover anything electrical if you didn't have the qualifications...

(Note that these are just my interpretation / guesses from a basic familiarity with the regs, I'm not a lawyer etc...)

I'm not so sure that adding a spur is OK, replacing existing sockets etc (like for like work) may well be, but adding a new bit to the circuit? nah that cant be allowed.

BAS where are you? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
He's probably working - so should you be!

Adding a spur, additional sockets to existing circuits etc is not notifiable unless it is done in one of the locations identified in the Part P document.

There's nothing to say who can do it, or where but as noted above, if you do work for reward then there are litigation issues.
Personally I would like to see electrical work done in my house by someone who was able to test and certify that the work complied with a recognised standard. But that's just me, I guess.

I've had my sandwich, now back to loft crawling - my favourite!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back