DNO PILC cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon
I need to move my electrical supply and my understanding is that the joint has to be made outside, 1 picture is of the existing supply and where I'd like it moved too and the other picture is a suspended timber floor which I'm wondering if they'll be ok to run the cable under there

Attachments

• IMG-20220319-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20220319-WA0002.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_20220421-135411_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-135411_WhatsApp.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 208
  • received_556391552434907.jpeg
    received_556391552434907.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 206
Sponsored Links
Probably but the only definite answer will come from the DNO (pretty sure that's non-contestable work). Hope you've got deep pockets :)

Probably but the only definite answer will come from the DNO (pretty sure that's non-contestable work). Hope you've got deep pockets :)

I've had a quote from NPG via a utility company to do the works , waiting for a survey next week...the cable is just laid there exposed and it's so tempting to carefuly manoeuvre it round into the new position but the consequences if it goes pop are making me have my sensible head on!!!!

At least it goes past the area where you want it to be re-terminated. Shouldn't cost too much, not sure what sort of figure they charge for that type of rework though.

Sponsored Links
I've had a quote from NPG via a utility company to do the works , waiting for a survey next week...
Interesting. I wonder how they can give a quote prior to the survey - or, the other way around, why they need a survey if they already know enough to be able to quote?

Kind Regards, John

Interesting. I wonder how they can give a quote prior to the survey - or, the other way around, why they need a survey if they already know enough to be able to quote?

Kind Regards, John
If they can joint inside it's to move 3 meters and you are looking at 650 quid inc vat, if its too joint outside then about 800 as it's further to run the new length of cable, i guess the survey is too make sure everything goes smooth on the day and there is no nasty surprises and also to check to give a more accurate quote as everything may not be as the customer described when they asked for an online quote

I've had a quote from NPG via a utility company to do the works , waiting for a survey next week...the cable is just laid there exposed and it's so tempting to carefuly manoeuvre it round into the new position but the consequences if it goes pop are making me have my sensible head on!!!!

Keep that sensible head on!

That cable has laid there for years... you really don't wanna see the mess it will make (and probably of the person holding it at the time) if it goes Pete Tong!

Afternoon
I need to move my electrical supply and my understanding is that the joint has to be made outside, 1 picture is of the existing supply and where I'd like it moved too and the other picture is a suspended timber floor which I'm wondering if they'll be ok to run the cable under there
Where does the suspended floor come into this?
I imagine they'll just shorten the cable and fit a new head.
If the head is deemed to be servicable I'll lay money they'll just do what you (and very certainly I) are justly wary of doing if the loop of cable wont be an issue.

Where does the suspended floor come into this?
I imagine they'll just shorten the cable and fit a new head.
If the head is deemed to be servicable I'll lay money they'll just do what you (and very certainly I) are justly wary of doing if the loop of cable wont be an issue.
My understanding was that A they won't manoeuvre the cable to make a loop in order to relocate the cutout and B they won't do a joint in the house, therefore the joint would need to be outside so that's where the suspended floor comes in as that would be my most direct route to get back to the new location, if they can simply move the cut out then I'm guessing they'd isolate it, move it, dead test it and re energise it

Fitting a new cutout is done on a daily basis, I can't think of a reason why they would want to terminate a cable in a cutout and run that cable elsewhere, then cut into a live cable and make a joint. It seems like work creation to me.

I've witnessed cutouts being moved and leaving surplus in the floor void or buried several times.

Last edited:
I remember reading some documents from one of the DNOs that said they would only allow a head change to be done live if it was a single phase head *AND* was fed with modern cable. If the head was 3 phase or was fed with paper insulated cable, then it would have to be changed dead and in most cases that would mean cutting the service cable to make it dead.

Live working has it's risks of course, but I presume they think they can control the risks better with a standardised cutting/jointing procedure in an outdoor pit than with an old cutout in a potentially confined indoor space

And if they are going to cut the service cable anyway and are going to move the head anyway I can see why they might want to update the cable as well.

I remember reading some documents from one of the DNOs that said they would only allow a head change to be done live if it was a single phase head *AND* was fed with modern cable. If the head was 3 phase or was fed with paper insulated cable, then it would have to be changed dead and in most cases that would mean cutting the service cable to make it dead.

Live working has it's risks of course, but I presume they think they can control the risks better with a standardised cutting/jointing procedure in an outdoor pit than with an old cutout in a potentially confined indoor space

And if they are going to cut the service cable anyway and are going to move the head anyway I can see why they might want to update the cable as well.
This year have known of a cast iron cutout replacement and a move, not too disimilar to OP's, due to a damaged PILC.

I'm not aware of this restriction however I understand the reasoning behind it and your post does make a lot of sense. I wonder if it's possibly a regional thing.

This year have known of a cast iron cutout replacement and a move, not too disimilar to OP's, due to a damaged PILC.

I'm not aware of this restriction however I understand the reasoning behind it and your post does make a lot of sense. I wonder if it's possibly a regional thing.

Hi just an update, they won't joint inside , and they wont manoeuvre the cable to position I'd like, the cutout has to be on an external wall inside or outside so I will be having a recessed white box on an external wall somewhere with the smart meter and a metal clad isolator inside then a SWA back into where the DB is , nevermind ha

Every intake re-site I have witnessed has been a case of digging outside. Isolating the supply. Fitting a new board/ cutout in the new position, fed with the appropriate PVC cable.

Jointing old with new outside and refilling hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back