dno question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

A domestic property has had the fuse pulled from their property for being dangerous, i have just rewired the place, will the dno reconnect without a certificate?

i mean dead test results

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure its laid down - I guess its down to the DNO - why not ask them?

It raises the point as to why if you have rewired the place, you haven't supplied a certificate?

Part P is relavent too - if you aren't registered as a competent person then not notifying the Local Building Control and having them inspect it (which would provide some certification of sorts) is an offence..

To be honest, if I was a DNO and was asked to reconnect to a house with no certificates, I wouldn't........

But perhaps the DNO will be more interested in getting the meter back up and running to obtain money!

Gavin

thanks gavin for your part p rant...

sime27, im talking about dead tests

Sponsored Links
Agreed you can't complete a full certificate until it is made live, but a partly completed certificate with ohm values, polarity checks, insulation resistance, etc. would look a lot better than providing nothing and expecting the DNO to reconnect so that things can be tested....

It wouldn't even have to be a certficate, just a sheet with the values to prove that some effort has been made to ensure that the property is now safe - It must have been pretty unsafe for the DNO to pull the fuse originally?

I wasn't ranting about Part P - just felt it needed pointing out. It seems that an amazing number of people still don't know about it - thanks to the Government's wonderful publicity on the subject.....

To be honest, though, the only person who can answer the original question is the DNO. From recent experience, good luck getting through to the right department!

Gavin

gavin
i am niceic and have a certificate already made out..

the point is, jobs finished tommorow and i have not been payed from this landlord i have never met,
his tenants are going to ring dno to reconnect, i want to know what the score is?

TopTrumper,

Fair enough, apologies for teaching you to suck eggs then :D I misunderstood the thrust of your question. :oops:

I don't see a problem with witholding the certificate until you have been paid - since the landlord presumably is the person who employed you to do the work the certificate would go to them and not the tenant.

As to the DNO, I don't honestly know - which one are we talking about? My recent experience with EDF and trying to talk to someone about an arrangement to replace my meter (still not happened) doesn't fill me with confidence, so they may well reconnect it, but if I was running their legal department I'd want documentation to cover my rear before reconnecting...

I'll go back to sleep and let someone who has experienced this contribute...

Gavin

thanks gavin, no probs
i think its scottish power, and it was not landlord who gave me job, it was tenants, assuring me, he would be in touch, 5days later and job finished, i still have not heard anything...

TopTrumper said:
gavin
i am niceic and have a certificate already made out..

the point is, jobs finished tommorow and i have not been payed from this landlord i have never met,
his tenants are going to ring dno to reconnect, i want to know what the score is?

Your are very much out on a limb. I would hold onto the test cert, mains switch and all of the MCB's until someone had paid. I would also be hunting down the landlord

Agreed, I know its hindsight but I always have a payment to cover the cost of materials and a little extra. usually I ask for 30%. As for Scottish power, you can only ask the question. There is a certain amout of discretion so I dont see you would have a problem getting the Certs. But as just said, keep hold of them until you have the wonga.

The DNO have no need, and no right to request a cert.

They simply need you to sign the disclaimer stating the install complies to bs7671.

Look at any model DNO "completion certs" that you send them.

Too many people confuse the DNO's "completion cert" with the model forms in BS7671 and those produced by the NIC etc.

Don't get me wrong, you must still do the tests, and do the live tests once energised, and then produce an EIC cert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back