Do fences have to be touching the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ground below where i put this wasn't level and I had dig out a fair bit on the left side but I didn't dig it all out level. Consequently, the right side of fence is not touching the ground. I rammed a rock underneath. Is this acceptable?

DSC_0079.JPG
I did it for friends rental house which is a right dump anyway and won't care but worried it still ok on another job?

Sponsored Links
So far as I know, the fence shouldn't be touching the ground at all as it will draw up water and rot over time. I've only ever used gravel boards to raise them up, but if you don't want to go down this route (it does add expense), then a brick either side to keep it off the ground is fine.

Every time I've put a fence down, it's taken hours of digging and leveling out!

for a nicer job, you can use a concrete gravel board, and dig out a groove so it sits level. Or you might leave a 6" square gap near a corner for hedgehogs.

Sponsored Links
Gravel boards are sacrificial, so wooden ones in those conditions would need changing every few years, but cheaper than a new fence panel; but that sort of ground needs concrete gravel boards, and that would require slotted posts. And that sort of grounds needs concrete posts, not wooden ones.

Not sure how you've secured those panels, but you should be using U shaped brackets.

Gravel boards are sacrificial, so wooden ones in those conditions would need changing every few years, but cheaper than a new fence panel; but that sort of ground needs concrete gravel boards, and that would require slotted posts. And that sort of grounds needs concrete posts, not wooden ones.

Not sure how you've secured those panels, but you should be using U shaped brackets.

Screwed them in. What are u shaped brackets?

Unless they're stainless steel, screws rust. The U fixings provide more support, and are good if there's a bit of a gap, but no, there's nothing wrong with the way you've done it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back