Do I have to move my gas flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to relocate my gas flue by my neighbour, this was communicated via his solicitor. We live in a semi and it transpires that the flue overhangs his property by approx 15cm even though it exits through our house. This is due to the fence that seperates the two properties does not lie on the true centreline. The position of the fence is a seperate issue but as the flue was installed over 3 years ago when his parents occupied the house, they both died this summer, they did not have an issue with its location, does he still have a case to have us move the flue terminal?

Any info on this situation would be appreciated as I would like to avoid any legal action at all costs. In fact I'd like to avoid all costs full stop!

Sponsored Links
How many forums are you going to ask this question in?

I think you’ve already had all the positive answers you’re likely to get on the plumbing/heating forum but I will try to add alittle if I can! Unfortunately if your flue overhangs his boundary, even by the minutest amount, your going to have to move it if he insists. I’m curious why your flue overhangs his boundary? If you have a joined/shared flue the boundary normally passes through the centre of the party wall & as long as you don’t angle it over his property you should be OK!

You also site a problem with the boundary fence, does this mean that it doesn’t tie in with the natural boundary of the party wall? Has it been moved in the past? If so I would get this sorted first & then worry about weather or not you will have to move the flue! Unfortunately it seems that you are likely to incur costs for legal advice but I would do this sooner rather than later; you never know it may result in a compromise if you show you’re not easily intimidated! Try this forum
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php
for some advice re the boundary.

If the flue overhangs the neighbours property you will have to move it. No doubt about that.

As Richard says, your best option is to throw some doubt on the position of the boundary - assuming there is some doubt to throw that is.

Sponsored Links
Three joe-90, thank you for yor intrest.

By posting it in various forums I get a broad range of advice and shared experience. Who know what nuggets of helpful info I may recieve by distributing my question.

I would go with his parents gave you verbel permission
If he wishes to pursue thriugh courts it will cost him and the most likley remedy a juge will give is to grant you an easment for which you will have to pay possibly £10.

He can't force you to do anything nore can he touch your property
a solicitor can send lots of nasty letters but you only HAVE to act on a court Judgement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back