Do I need a newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the attached area I need to install a handrail. The width is about 80cm and the down part is about the same.

What I would like to do is have a curved handrail that connects to the newel post on the stairs and then into the wall, possibly via a half-newel post. There will be metal spindles every 10cm.

Would this be ok or do I need to fit a newel at the top of the stairs too?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_113600389.jpg
    IMG_20210527_113600389.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
That's what I was hoping, given I can secure it to the wall and the newel at the bottom of the top flight. I was just unsure if there were any regulations about gaps between newels etc? I know the spindles can't have a gap >=100mm anywhere. If there are no regulations, I guess it is a case of fitting it and testing it for strength; it is my family house so I won't be taking any chances!

the problem you have is you are changing direction in two different planes
so leaning on the handrail at the top will automatically force it up as its pivoting on the bottom of the short bit at an approx 42 % angle

Sponsored Links
Do you think if the spindles were bolted top and bottom it would be enough to resist this movement, or am I better off just putting a newel in? I was hoping to have a nice curved rail, but it's not the end of the world if this is a no go.

my thought are overdo the fixings on the 3 spindles at the corner although if you have a curve how would you replicate on the base rail as at least one up to 3 spindles at the corner would be floating in space a bit??

It's not a sweeping curve, more a right angle curve. Once the bits arrive I will lay them out and see if I think the corner is feasible. Thanks for your help!

do you have a strait transition bit for the handrail going from level to 42 degrees ??

No, I have a downward curved piece that I will then attach to a straight piece using zipbolt connectors. So from bottom newel it will be straight piece, into upward curve into 90 degree curve into straight piece. Or two straight pieces with a newel post in-between if that doesn't work/I screw it up :)

i am absolutely sure it will be fine
but keep in mind because you dont start the angle change at a newel you will have a perhaps 150-200mm off level where you would normally be at the angle on the short handrail section so it will be quite high up on the newel post by perhaps 100-150mm
and iff you lower it down to look better it may drop the top handrail below regs ??

Last edited:
I went with a newel post in the end. I couldn't get a curve and slope I was happy with that I would be certain would be strong enough. Really happy with how it turned out, first Bannister I have done so not perfect but looks pretty good and all very secure. Thanks for all the help.

glad it worked out and thanks for letting us know how you got on(n)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back